New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening a stock.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I managed to pick up a Sauer 200 in 308 earlier in the year for $400.

The only issue is that the previous muppet that owned it shortened the stock to a 12" LOP. I have 2 other Sauers that fit me perfectly and I want to bring it back to factory length.

So far the best I can come up with is to add stock spacers from Brownells to make it fit.

Any suggestions?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the simplest adjustable butt plate you can find, I just purchased one for the same predicament you're in.

I'd wear a 40" sleeve shirt if they made them, I'm always in that predicament.

The old plate can be put back on the rifle if you want to sell it at some point.

Some of them have the perimeter of the plate terminating as a rather thin edge which can be finished to the stock contour quickly- not a lot of material to be removed.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Functional would be just to get the spacers. You could also have the stock lengthened with a wood extension...with or without butt plate. Sounds like a shooter...I'd go the cheaper route.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
How about a spacer and the thickest recoil pad you can find. I was in somewhat the same position with a BT-100 trap gun I bought cheap due to the shortened stock. A thicker spacer and an 1 3/8" thick kick eez pad solved the problem.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used ebony (real ebony) spacers for this purpose with good success, and horn would also work well. A Galco leather/velcro add-on pad would also help.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I go the spacer route what are everyone's thoughts on doing a little extra work and making it so that the spacers are like those in the Stery or the new Ruger Scout so that I can adjust the LOP for any shooter?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ergonomic but ugly. Please don't waste any real ebony or horn on this approach.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've repaired such stocks by using scraps of walnut, trying to use relatively similar grain and color. I think when you have to add more than 3/8" it makes a better looking stock than using a contrasting color wood or plastic spacers.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools is making alot of sence ! I keep all the butts from stocks that I shorten , for just such occasions . Your local Smith may well do the same thing , and can help you out , one way or another !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've repaired such stocks by using scraps of walnut, trying to use relatively similar grain and color. I think when you have to add more than 3/8" it makes a better looking stock than using a contrasting color wood or plastic spacers.

I agree totally. Nothing looks worse than a fine shot gun lengthened with a piece of walnut that "doesn't quite" (and they never ever do) match.

An assault on the eye!

As TOOMANYTOOLS says better to lengthen with a totally contrasting colour.

I am 6' 4" so with my shot guns if I can't afford to have a new stock made I have them lengthened with a red rubber Silver's recoil pad.

But ONLY if that extra length is at or below ONE INCH. Any longer with a red pad and it just doen't look "right".

I believe that Pachmayr do such an thing? And others too.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote