Find
Notify
Tools

determining eye relief
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
When mounting a scope for someone what is the best way to determine the position for eye relief. I am mounting a scope for a friend and he will not be here for a week or so.
Is there a rule of thumb.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the dimensions of the shooter and the eye relief of the scope.A large shooter will be farward on the stock and requires the scope mounted more forward.If you and the shooter are the same size you could be close setting it up for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm a large lump of a fella, and I can never get scopes back far enough. Usually resort to cutting an inch of the stock. I must have a short neck.
But if we are talking about a kicker, best a bit too far forward for a start, most people can crawl up a stock if they have to.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way I've found to determine the best position for the scope is to have the person who is going to use the rifle hold it up in a comfortable shooting position. I then put a strip of masking tape on the stock right under there aiming eye for a reference point. I then measure and put another strip of tape 3" in front of the first piece. I then mount the scope with the eyepiece even with the forward reference point on the stock. You can fine tune from there. Remember that if it is a varible scope to set it at it's mid level to high power setting when checking for eye relief.

This works for me. Good luck and good shooting.

posted Hide Post
When I mount my scopes I try to center the turrets on the ejection port (astetics) then you can adjust from there. Trial and error work best for me. Every time I have someone else mount my scope they always seem to leave ringmarks and scratches. I take my time and make sure my rings are straight and tight before I tighten down the rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mount the scope, loosen the screws, if it is a variable turn it to the highest power. Then mount the rifle to your shoulder in a shooting position and position the scope forward or back so the image just fills the eyepiece of the scope and tighten it up.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Chic does it, been working for years.. thumb

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote