Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 .308 --> ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
I have a Ruger M77 .308 light sporter barrel(75-65XXX)that just refuses to behave. Trigger work, bedding, every imaginable powder/bullet combo.

The only thing this rifle likes are varmit bullets and then I can only get 2" groups. Others range from 5-6"

I'm tired of messing with it. I have a heavy barreled .308 (also a Ruger M77) that shoots sub-MOA with just about anything I feed it, so something has to be done with the sporter.

I'm partial to a 7mm-08AI. It would nicely fill a niche in my collection. I also like the fact that I could shoot factory 7mm-08 in a pinch or to get fireformed brass.

The question is: Rebarrel the Ruger and take my chances with that action, or sell it (taking a massive hit because it shoots so poorly) and buy a 7mm-08AI?

If I get the Ruger rebarreled, I'm thinking a medium wt 22-24" barrel and possibly a new trigger. I would use it to hunt Texas whitetail with a few hogs thrown in so a twist for light to medium bullets is in order.

This is the first time I've considered major work on a rifle, so I guess I'm a bit of a newbie in this area.
Be gentle with the advise if I'm suggesting something stupid.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would send it to fred Zeglin in Casper Wyoming and for about $125 he will true the action and bbl to 5/10000 rechamber in 308 and I uspect it will shoot.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds exactlky like a lot of Rugers I,ve run across. Beings that you have done everything possible to get it to shoot and it won't, I'd be suspect of the barrel. Early 77's are not known for great accuracy. If you like the rifle itself, rebarrel it and you'll more than likely have a good shooter. Or you can always sell it and put the cash toward something else that trips your trigger. No matter what you do there are no guarantees either way.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd sell it and buy a new gun. Perhaps the new owner will be satisfied with its present level of (in)accuracy.

If you MUST stick with that Ruger, the work you mention will cost $400-500 or so, including a GOOD barrel (Shilen, PacNor, Douglas XX, et al.).
When you are done, the rifle will be worth only a bit more than a stock Ruger, because a) it's a Ruger (not particulary rare, not particularly desirable), and b) most wildcats don't really hold their 'value' well.

Skip the Ackley chamber, and you might recoup more of your investment in the future.

George
P.S. Look for an older Sako or a pre-1993 Remington as the foundation for this project.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
When you bedded this light barreled gun did you try full contact bedding from tang to tip? This sometimes works very well on these wispy barrels.

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When you bedded this light barreled gun did you try full contact bedding from tang to tip? This sometimes works very well on these wispy barrels.

I tried it all at one time or another. I've had that gun for over 20 years and have over time just given up on it.
Bedded the action, floated the barrel, tried putting some card stock back at the forend to give it a bit of upward pressure, full bedded the stock....

I have never sold a gun and that is why I keep thinking about re-working this one.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I had a M77 in 6.5x55 that I could never get to shoot. I tried everyting, but finally got rid of it as a lost cause. I still have a M77 in .243 that is lucky to stay within 2" for a 5-shot group. No more Ruger 77's for me.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You don't loose anything other than the UPS fee to return it to Ruger with your complaint. At worse, they will that is they way it is; at best, who knows--if it is your barrel maybe they will replace it (for free!).

posted Hide Post
Quote:

You don't loose anything other than the UPS fee to return it to Ruger with your complaint. At worse, they will that is they way it is; at best, who knows--if it is your barrel maybe they will replace it (for free!).

Actually, there is a real risk of Ruger undoing all of the modifications already made (trigger, bedding, et al.).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

As I said originally, I have a .308 that I'm VERY happy with. I'd rather not work anymore on this one to keep it a 308.

I thought it might be a good base for a rebarrel in a cartridge in which I was interested (7mm-08AI).
Seems like the best course is to give up on it (probably will just keep it in the safe) and look at buying <perish the thought> a new gun.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
There is no risk whatsoever of Ruger undoing any of the modifications to this rifle. The most they could be expected to do on a twenty year old rifle that has been highly modified is to update the packaging and maybe pay return shipping. A replacement trigger and you think they're going to work on it? Can you say LIABILITY?? Save your shipping and have it re-barreled. And if you want to go 7/08 Ackley by all means do it and ignore the people that tell how much money you're going to lose on re-sale value. Have you ever bought a rifle or had one modified with the express intention of re-selling it? That's the biggest load of horseshit I've ever heard. Do an Ackley and enjoy it if thats what you want! Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Big-Ed,

Back in the days when I was shooting a lot of .308s competitively we would test a new barrel with one of several known good loads with the Sierra 168 Matchking. If it didn't shoot that load, it became tent pegs.

Even very light barrels can shoot good groups with adequate cooling, at least enough to test the barrel. I would replace this barrel. I think the .308 Win is a great hunting caliber, and it kills a lot better than the 7mm or other smaller bullet guys.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There is no risk whatsoever of Ruger undoing any of the modifications to this rifle. The most they could be expected to do on a twenty year old rifle that has been highly modified is to update the packaging and maybe pay return shipping. A replacement trigger and you think they're going to work on it? Can you say LIABILITY?? Save your shipping and have it re-barreled. And if you want to go 7/08 Ackley by all means do it and ignore the people that tell how much money you're going to lose on re-sale value. Have you ever bought a rifle or had one modified with the express intention of re-selling it? That's the biggest load of horseshit I've ever heard. Do an Ackley and enjoy it if thats what you want! Jim

Well, Jim, I know of at least one rifle which was sent it in to have a defective barrel replaced whose aftermarket Jewell trigger was replaced with a factory trigger. Not only that, the gunmaker (Remington) did not return the trigger until some pretty serious threats of prosecution were made. You can inquire about it on GGVG if you wish.

Apparently, lawyers are working overtime at some gunmakers, implying that the gunmaker is liable if the owner's modifications result in death or serious injury. They posit that since they had the gun in their possession (post-modification) and returned it to the owner without restoring it to 'factory condition', they could be sued.
Insane premise, I agree, but this is what lawyers do.

As for modifying a firearm with the 'express intention of re-selling it', that is NOT what I said. I said that if he decided to sell it in the future, it would be much easier to recoup his investment if it were chambered in a SAAMI cartridge.

George