New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 BR-- How tough to make...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
from a Remington Model 7 action. I have a stainless Model 7 action that I feel like playing with and would like input on the processes necessary for the conversion beyond the obvious barrel changeout. It is a 243 today.

Would I need to put a spacer in the magazine? Mess with the feed ramp for the sharper shoulder?

What do you think? For those who will ask, I am doing it strictly because I can and it may just be a fun small gun. Same reason I am thinking about making a .17-30 M1 Carbine. 30 rounds of Coyote and Bobcat fun.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also looking at doing a 7 BR in a rifle. I am sure someone has done this before, I am posting to get some activity maybe someone respond. I have a old American Rifleman with a article on a Ultra light Arms 7BR, just more than I want to spend.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes you can but you need
to make a shorter follover with a new spring , boby of the BR is very short so follower is very important if yoy cartridge is aloow to move in the mag box you get a sad jam when you open the bolt , spacer can be done as a copy of the 222 spacer use in rem 700 as the follower can be use as base to make one for BR

6.5 Br is a vrey nice efficient cartridge and very accurate in silhouettes hooting , more esay way to built a light and accurate rifle is the 6.5/22.250 that a ccurate cartridge with a perfect feeding and no magzinz problem

goodshooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
I made a 7 mm BR with an intermediate action Mauser and a heavy barrel from E. R. Shaw. This gun is used for cast bullet 100 yard bench rest. I use a "score high bench rest follower" and only shoot single shot. The main problem I had was the extractor getting into the extractor grove in the BR case. I think it was because the short case was at a steeper angle than normal. I opened the extractor up some with a Dremill tool and it helper some.
I think I would not use a Mauser next time.
Steve