New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this stock???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This stock is on a 375 H&H (on an Interarms MK X action) that I'm thinking about buying and I'd appreciate any info you could provide.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a 1960's style target stock, which leads me to think that either the stock isn't original or the barrel has been changed.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep...it's a target stock. The metal part on the fore end is an accessory rail that typically positions a hand-stop (for use with a sling) the same place each time and the recoil pad is adjustable up and down...probably for prone shooting. If the .375 was shot for a prone target rifle that fellow must have loved recoil. If yo're handy and like the way the stock is fitted and bedded it shouldn't be much trouble to take a rasp and some sandpaper to the stock to get it down to a sporter-size....the accessory rail could come out and the hole filled with some epoxy or even some contrasting wood. Fit a new recoil pad and you're good to go.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a fajun stock and poorly done, toss it and get a decent stock. that is a Whitworth action and its a good action but that is not the original barrel as the chamber portion is too long and its too short. I'd call it a parts gun.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Wow!! Way too short for a .375 H&H!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the length of the forend and the barrel diameter make the barrel look shorter than it actually is (22")? I made a deal to trade for the rifle, I'll wait until I see how it shoots before I trash the barrel.....the stock is a different matter!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Atkinson that this looks like a "custom job" put together with action from here and a barrel from there. But I think the idea of just trashing the thing is a bit extreme. Just because it's a "parts gun" doen't mean it isn't a good one. I've seen some that were damn good!

The oddest thing is that chopped barrel. But I can think of a couple things to explain it. Possibly the original builder/owner discovered after he finished the thing that is was just too dang heavy to carry around all day. Dumping several inches off the barrel is the fastest, easiest way to get rid of a pound. OR, another possibility is the muzzle of the barrel may have pitted or otherwise become damaged and it was cut to get rid of a problem.

But if the thing shoots and functions good, I think I would just give the stock a serious rasp job, grind off a pound of wood to try it down to realistic lines and refinish the thing. The sling rail embedded in the front of the stock doesn't worry me and would be more trouble to remove and cover than it's worth. The worst looking thing in the pictures for me is the recoil pad. That looks like a slice cut out of Roy Roger's parade saddle.

See how it shoots and act accordingly.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote