New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 trigger steel type
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know what sort of steel was typically used in military 98 triggers? I’m wanting to cut and weld one into a DST kicker and thinking about heat treatment

Posts: 123 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.myersarms.com/stor...ruckstuck-p287983032

Buy a few for your friends Smiler

The specifications of steel for the trigger undoubtedly changed over the years, depending on contracts and availability, but one document I have states that St. C. 16.61 was used for the triggers.

C - .11 - .18
MN MAX - .5
SI MAX - .35

I would anneal fully before cutting and welding, then case harden.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fal. My suspicions were a low carbon and case hardened so I’m not surprised, no lucky breaks… don’t have any case hardening compound but I’ll work something out. I did see your kickers and thought about it but I want to give the double hump style a go that’s mentioned in Roy Dunlop’s Gunsmithing where you tune one lobe as far back as possible and have it touching the front trigger arm for the best possible unset pull while keeping the required clearance for the set arm to trip it - so a bit of hand fitting. Do you have any experience of these?

Posts: 123 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with that style, though I guess I can see that potential benefit.

I use the ones I make.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote