Find
Notify
Tools

barrel thread dia.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Does anyone know the diameter and thread pitch for a Zastava M70 375 and Ruger Alaskan 375 barrels ?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me, the Zastava is just a LR mauser with a 1.1x12 thread. I have barreled them but I forget easy.
And the Rugers are 1x16, at least all I have seen are.
Speer knows this stuff by heart.
Inches; none of this metric nonsense.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, make me look like the dummy now when I go: "Aaahhhh, weelll, burp, fart hummm, see, then, about, harrumph"

Actually, I'm not sure. I've screwed pipes on them, but I have never done a drawing for some reason. I just stuck a 30-06 barrel on a Remington 798 a few weeks back and it was a 98 clone. Like Tom said, 1.100 x 12 tpi (55 deg Whitworth) Is that not a Zastava action?

This should be your buzzard grade, garden variety, get you in the field on time kind of Ruger M77.

Rod Henrickson Ruger M77 Mark ll by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Don't forget to make an aluminum spacer for your wrench so that you don't tear the scope mount on the front receiver ring all to hell. The one on the left is for the M77s. The other two are probably Tikka and Sako. Or possibly A Bolt.

action wrench spacer by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...thanks, just double checking.
The action spanner spacers won't be a problem Rod, as both barrels are already removed. Both units were offered to me as take-offs and I was checking diameters to work out what I could " re-assign " them to. I was looking for a cheap barrel to fit to a SMLE for a .375 conversion.

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
See, I told you. Hey, that is a good idea on the Rugers; I just use a pipe wrench and then belt sand the jaw marks off the scope rings afterwards.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, in that case, the Mauser can be re threaded for a SMLE and the Ruger is already the right thread pitch for a Russian 91. A bit too big though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
See, I told you. Hey, that is a good idea on the Rugers; I just use a pipe wrench and then belt sand the jaw marks off the scope rings afterwards.

popcorn
Oh no problems. In that case don't round the top off of the spacer, leave it square and cut grooves in the top to match the teeth in the pipe wrench jaws! LOL

Always helpful.
Aintent I helpful?
My mom used to glare at me right about then! LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I find your advice very helpful. Some others might not understand it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I find your advice very helpful. Some others might not understand it.

popcorn
It's my Canukian accent and the drawings on the back of the McDonald's place-mats in green crayon that confuses people. I know better. But I ate all of the red ones!

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I just stuck a 30-06 barrel on a Remington 798 a few weeks back and it was a 98 clone. Like Tom said, 1.100 x 12 tpi (55 deg Whitworth) Is that not a Zastava action?

Yep,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yup, coincidentally, I just dragged my Interarms .375 out of the safe yesterday. It, the Rem 798, the Charles Daly, were all made by Zastava and have standard LR 98 threads: 1.10"x12 TPI.

I'm deferring to Speerchucker about the Ruger.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if its a 98 Mauser clone, which seems to be the case, this is the drawing. Be careful. Just because it is a clone does not mean that they stuck to the dimensions exactly. Shank length and shank OD should always be double checked by measuring the receiver. NEVER, rely on someone elses drawings or the dimensions from an old barrel, even if it came off that receiver. You may very well be copying someone elses errors.

Rod Henrickson Large Ring 98 Mauser by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson