Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Choice for 6.5/284
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Looking for some recommendations on a barrel for a 6.5/284. It will be a varmint weight, 9 twist, 26" chrome-moly on a Rem 700 receiver. Chrome moly because I feel like doing a nice rust-blue. Some names to consider, Lilja, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Douglas, Lothar-Walther. Any others and what is your final answer!?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A chrome moly Krieger barrel is never the wrong answer at anybody's party.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Lothar Walther. It's a German industrial product [German steel, manufacturing technology and equipment]. Enough said.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Pac-Nor. It's a US industrial product [US steel, manufacturing technology and equipment]. Enough said.

Posts: 12 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank God we all agree on something.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
They're all great barrels, but the only ones I have used are Shilen, Pac-Nor and Hart . If I am going to have my local smith do the work I will order Shilen. If I send the rifle off to have the work done I send it to Pac-Nor or Hart. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther's US sold products are made here. But I could care less about that. I don't buy on the basis of where its made, but by how good it is. By the way, I have a PacNor barrel on order.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with Pac-Nor. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
My 6.5-284 I went with a 26 inch stainless Pac-Nor Barrel and never regreted it is a tac driver. I mainly use the old 120gr Nosler Solid base when I can find them if not I use 129 Hornady.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote