New
Find
Notify
Tools

L61R Bolt guide removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to finish disassembling a couple of Sako L61R's for refinishing. Everything is appart except that I haven't been able to get the guide rails off the bolts. Anyone who can fill me in? It would be greatly appreciated.

Rhys

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Comes off pretty easy, just tap it forward with a wood block. It comes off like a Mauser extractor only two clips and some tiny flat springs in the recess under the guide. Warning: much harder to put back on.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured that was the case, and that it was just a bit subborn. I can take them off and on Winchesters, mausers, and rugers with just my fingers pretty easily.

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it off but the front spring collar broke a tab off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That my friend, is normal. Even the guys in the parts department at Beretta say that is the best way to do it. Sako apparently makes a tool that supposedly slips under the guide rib to depress those little springs but those guys claim it don't work. You may be able to buy those little clips from them. Did you also notice the little flat spring in there?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I use a pair of needle nose vise grips to re-install mine. I put some card stock underneath them to prevent marring the finish. The little springs are a bitch too; a little dab of grease will hold them in place during reassembly.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a common pratice to re drill and put a pin in these bolt guides for a while in this area. This would prevent this part moving forward and locking up the bolt . Ask Bill Leeper for more information on this simple modification .

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can't move forward when installed correctly. If the guide rib is installed backwards, it will slide forward and lock up the bolt. Believe me, I know.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Have the little flat spring at first I was thinking it was a part that had broken off. Now I'm trying to locate about 4 of those spring clips that go around the bolt as I have a couple more of this same model rifle to do the same thing to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parts break -stuff happens. It's better to fix things first.
Another thing Sako ring screws - the same poor quality screws for thirty five years.Easy fix.

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote