New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! .300WSM on new M700
 Login/Join

<possum gun works>
posted
It was bound to happen sooner or later. A customer came in and asked to have his new M700 long action .270 rebarreled and chambered for the new .300 WSM. Of course, being the wise, experienced gunsmith that I am, I assured the gentleman that he had come to the right place. So, help me out guys! Seems to me the issues are #1- the bolt face/extractor (will the Sako style extractors work?) and #2-What kind of magazine box modifications or replacements are needed.

<Big Stick>
posted
Ain't that sorta like goin' to the Doctor and he asks,"what's that thingy between your wrist and shoulder called?"..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
possum,

Lucky you are not in Australia with a girly name like possum [Big Grin]

In litigation happy America you might need to consider that the bullshit barrel counterbore on Rem 700 might have to be opened up for Sako extractor when it goes over the rim. But then again the Sako extractor will mean that the whole case head does not need to hang out all on its own [Big Grin]

Maybe you gunsmiths need to chamber a barrel so you can check feed. Any old barrel would do. I don't think an action with no barrel is a reliable test.

My feeling is that if the 270 magazine is replaced with the parallel sided 7mm Rem box or you can straighten the tops of the 270 box out, it will be probaly work OK.

Mike

[ 05-31-2002, 12:01: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face thing is not an issue and the Sako type extractor will work just fine. When it comes to the feeding though you can look forward to a real good time! I don't think i will take on any such jobs after watching a fellow gunsmith lose his ass trying to make one 100% reliable in the feeding dept. Something that might actually work is the use of the detachable magazine system for the 700. If someone tries it and it works well let me know. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Sell the customer a new 700 in .300 SAUM or a new rifle in .300 WSM and he will have two rifles for the cost of one new barrel and action work.

Unless there is something wrong with the .270 it's a waste to take a good rifle apart.

<twtokar>
posted
Well Don Martin29, Don't you think it is a waste that I have a extra .270 sitting in the safe doing nothing. And if I wanted to buy a factory rifle, I would not have asked my gunsmith to build me a custom rifle.