New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 Casull Redhawk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does any one know if I could have a Super Redhawk cylinder installed on my Redhawk?

Are they the same dimensions?

Or can any one give me other possible ways to handle the pressure of the 454 in my Stainless Redhawk?
I do not feel good about over loading the 45 colt.

Thanks...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Sell the Redhawk and buy a Super Redhawk in 454 from the factory.

Ruger says that only those SRHs chambered in 454 or 480 are sutibale to those cartridges, as they are made form a different steel the the .44mag RHs or SRHs. They do not recomend cambering a 44mag SRH to 454.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it, the cylinder is the only part that has a special heat treat. The frame is made of high-grade investment cast Stainless Steel.
oops, just found this....

E-update Sponsor
Powerful handgun hits performance target with new stainless grades

When engineering one of the world's most powerful commercially available
revolvers - the new Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull - designers needed
to select metals for the barrel and cylinder that would perform under
extreme conditions. They used Carpenter Technology's Custom 465
stainless for the six-chamber cylinder to withstand pressures over
62,000 psi. Carpenter's Project 7000 15Cr-5Ni was chosen for the barrel
to reduce high-velocity gas cutting and throat erosion problems while
offering improved machinability compared with conventional 15-5 alloys.
Learn more about Carpenter Technology's wide range of specialty alloys
and materials.
http://article.designnews.com/UM/T.ASP?A13.98.267.1.1770720172

This item is from Design News a magazine for designers and strange people.

[ 11-01-2002, 08:10: Message edited by: Mauserkid ]

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be possible to swap the cylinder but some fitting may be required as such facing the cylinder or shortening the barrel, etc. There is also a timing issue. Unless you know what you are doing, I would let the pro handle it. Call Bowen or Clements to see if they have any 454 SRH cylinder laying around. It is unlikely that you can find a take off one as not many people have been working on the 454 SRH. The barrel is extremely difficult to remove if not possible. Bowen has removed a couple of them but I think he would not do it again.

Also Ruger would not sell you just the cylinder as it come as an assembly with the crane and ejector star in place. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
I beleive I have read of conversions to 454 with 5 shot cyliders before Ruger came out with their SRH. I am in no way saying it can not be done. I am sugesting that if Ruger went thru the trouble of re-engenering the gun, there might have been good reason...

Kristofer

[ 11-02-2002, 04:46: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

<Matt77>
posted
You are going to have to buy the Super Redhawk made for the 454. Yes, the metal is rumoured to be special, and as a former owner of this pistol, and a handloader, I can believe it.
Shooting full power handloaded 454 casulls from this pistol is like shooting 3 fully loaded 44 mags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
17-4 PH has been used extensively for revolver cylinder making in the custom revolver making circle. Freedom Arms uses this material to make cylinder for their famous 454 Casull for a long time as well as most custom fiveguns built by Clements or Bowen. The 454 SRH is different than the others is because it is a sixgun and chamber walls are very thin in the cylinder so care must be taken to chamber the 454 Casull.

I personally do not see a need for the 454 if you already have a gun strong enough to handle the 45 Colt with modern ballistics. With that said, I understand that need has nothing to do with the wanting of a 454 Casull. I like the suggestion from KB Guns about selling your Redhawk and getting a Super Redhawk. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote