New
Find
Notify
Tools

English Red Stock Stain
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have an idea of what the classic English gunmakers like H&H, Rigby, Jefferies, and Vickers used to dye their walnut that deep rich reddish color?

I've tried Plinktons with so-so results...

My research turned up a mixture called "dragons blood", but gave no further details of the ingredients. Also, tangerine dye and negrosene (black) where mentioned elsewhere- these are available in Brownells but I've never used them.

Any links, lore, or leads appreciated...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
DeBee,

Try www.woodfinishsupply.com

I got this from Mike Brown (Bear) a while back. They are nice people to deal with.

Bill

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Get the stains you mentioned from brownells. Get the whole set. They are in powder form & are mixed by weight. These dies are extremly potent! Just follow the directions.

------------------

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old masters used alkenet root boiled in linseed oil.

I read an article where a respected member of the American Custom Gunbuilders Guild imported some of this stuff and attempted to boil it and duplicate what the masters all wrote about but failed to get any good results.

Brownells sells the old Herters French Red. They also sell Pilkington pre 64 red.

Bill Tompkins, would you share which finish you recomend from this company. What is your technique?

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Craftsman,

I don't yet have a favorite and don't have any techniques because I haven't had a chance to order any and try them. Mike Brown and I were discussing maple and all it's varieties and got off into dyes and stains that get used in musical instrument wood. He has some killer maple. One of these days when I get even mildly caught up on projects, I'll get into it some more.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link. www.winrestore.com . This site is specific to the restoration of winchesters(pre-64), so it may not be exactly what you are looking for.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good deal of boiled linseed oil mixed with Alkanet root and it works nicely but only on very dark wood which is what the English used, Frenc Walnut thats reddish or orange to start with....

I like the Brownells stuff best and it really works on Turkish wood....

the secrete to stain is to finish the stock first then rub it down with a scotch pad and a mixture of your cutting or sanding solution and rotten stone, stain, wipe off to color then let itdry and apply some more coats of finish on it 24 hours apart and use only rotten stone mixture lightly between coats....

When you stain from the beginning, you will allways wet sand through the finish and have blotches where you restained, and they will show in the sunlight, unless you like a Weatherby type finish which is just a paint job.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I have used Brownells military stock stain. It adds a nice redish tint.

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.