Tools

heat applied to action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a freind whose daughter has a rem 700 stainless
steel in 300 RUM. It sheard off the front base {screws
sheard off flush with the top of the reciever} A local
gunsmith applied quite a lot of heat with a torch to get the broken screws out. My question is: does this compromise the integrity of the steel in the reciever or the barrel
with the threads being directly below the screws ?
hysider

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A local
gunsmith applied quite a lot of heat

Heating the front ring of a receiver, depending on what temp it reached, could soften the ring.

I've used a small oxyacetylene torch to soften the spots on P-17 Eddystones so that I could drill and tap them for scope mounts.....but one quickly heats the area and very quickly gets away.....even that's avoidable with small carbide endmills today.

If the receiver ring was turned blue or even straw color by the heating I'd return the gun to him and inform him that he just bought it. If he refused to buy it, I'd sue him in small claims court.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Even if the screws were Loctited with red Loctite the heat needed to break the bond is only about 385 degrees. If the smith knows what he is doing there should be no problem. I place the action in a mill and center drill and drill for an easy out then heat with a torch with a fine flame to localize the heat on the screws, then moniter the heat with an infrared thermometer, apply the easy out and the screw usually comes out easily. How capable the smith was is at question. Good Luck.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the type of steel and how much heat was applied and whether localized heating or more . 400F will not harm the steel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If he refused to buy it, I'd sue him in small claims court.

This is off-topic, but...

Vapodog, I normally enjoy your posts. But, this mentality just bugs the crap out of me.

"The American way"... sue everybody.

Ever wonder why things are so expensive sometimes? Because companies are so sue-shy that they carry huge liability insurance. That cost gets past on to consumers...

I think it was here not long ago that it was pointed out that the US has something like 16% of the world's total population, but 71% of the lawyers! (My numbers are probably not exact, but close). That's insane! And it's because of things like this that we have so many.

If something is major, and there is no other way to resolve it, then maybe look at the courts. But on something like this, you want to go straight to court over a few hundred dollars.

I just don't understand the sue-crazy mentality...

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
That's certainly good advice. Then when the lawsuit is over you can start another thread on AR......"Anybody know where to get stuck screws removed-my gunsmith won't touch them"

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coldbore,
I agree. When I read Vapodogs reply I had the same reaction, and still do.. Sad commentary in my eyes.

Pat Byrne

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen.....yes.....that is a bad commentary on the way to do things.....however there's so many gunsmiths out there that aren't qualified to be even blacksmiths....The only reason I do almost all my own work is because of these "so called" gunsmiths that ruin more guns than fix them.

A customer should have some confidence that when they take their gun to a gunsmith they will get reasonable quality and at a reasonable price. Sadly this is not at all the case and I fully believe these so called "smiths" need to pay for their errors.......what is the customer to do when the "smith" draws the hardness from the receiver ring? Trade it off??????? Who buys it then?????

The illness must fall on the person that screwed the thing up......what's your choice???????

Do you trust this guy to repair the problem after he's the one that caused it?????

If he was judicious in using heat then the receiver ring would have nothing but the original color in it.....as I stated if the color was altered due to heating he should own it!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH A .300 ULTRAMAG THAT HAS HAD THE RECEIVER RING SOFTENED OR (JUST AS BAD) YOU BELIEVE IT IS!!!!!

Please answer that.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH A .300 ULTRAMAG THAT HAS HAD THE RECEIVER RING SOFTENED OR (JUST AS BAD) YOU BELIEVE IT IS!!!!!"
In the first place if I can't do the job myself I'm going to take it to a "gunsmith" and not to a plumber. If I don't have complete faith in the person I trust my firearm to I'm certainly not going to turn him/her loose on it with a torch.
In the second place if someone I do trust to work on my firearm makes a "mistake" then he and I will work it out to our mutual "satisfaction" if you get my drift. I would certainly not choose to burden the court system with petty bullshit.
In the third place WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SHOUTING FOR? DO YOU THINK WE'RE ALL DEAF HERE?

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My question is: does this compromise the integrity of the steel in the reciever or the barrel
with the threads being directly below the screws ?
hysider

Depending on how much heat "a lot of heat" is , yes!

If he used a propane torch to break down locktite then the action is fine. If the "reciever" ever got cherry red at any point then youve probably got some issues. It may have been possible with the right torch tip to heat the screws only to high temps for their removal.

I wouldnt want to start accusing the guy of screwing up without knowing the details.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH A .300 ULTRAMAG THAT HAS HAD THE RECEIVER RING SOFTENED OR (JUST AS BAD) YOU BELIEVE IT IS!!!!!

Please answer that.

Vapodog-

OK, I'll answer that.

10 years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, they caught it early & it was treatable. So, after a lumpectomy, she started chemo & radiation.

One day, while undergoing radiation, the machine malfunctioned. It burnt the skin under her arm, and actually "burnt" her chest wall (inside) & a small portion of one lung. (It ended up leaving scar tissue inside her chest, and a permanent "sunburn" on the outside.)

A bunch of people immediately screamed "SUE!!!". It was an easy case, that probably would've have been measured in the seven figures range. But... she had been an RN her entire life, and worked around this kind of stuff. She said "Nobody did anything wrong intentionally. Nobody meant to hurt me. Accidents happen." And that was that.

She could've become very rich and lived comfortably the rest of her life. As it was, she lived with the pain, and shortness of breath, for the next ten years.

Every now & then somebody would ask her if she regretted not suing. She always said the same thing... "It would've been dirty money.". She stuck by her initial thoughts of why punish somebody for doing an honest job that just happened to go wrong one time.

So, when you have a REAL issue, something a little more important than a rifle that can be replaced tomorrow at Wal-Mart for the cost of a week's pay, rather than something that causes you discomfort for the rest of your life, THEN come back & tell me how important it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too true cold bore, too true. I've got some of those stories (my grandma's innept doctor did NOT catch her cancer early enough saying that the spot on her lung wasn't anything to worry about, she didn't get 10 years).

Back to the original, did anybody besides me notice the best part of this? A woman with a 300RUM, that is a beautiful thing.

It is easy to thinkt hat a gunsmith is competent if others thinnk they are and recommend them and especially if you dont' know anything. I thought my local smiths were good till they botched a job for me and I found a REAL gunsmith. Things just started going downhill from there as far as the local smiths work was concerned. I will post in the next couple of days a picture of my 03a3 the local shop d&T'd for scope, the picture my smith took to show the holes that he says were "inspired by the leaning tower of Pisa". You can't have a really accurate gun without things being straight. I am surprised it shot as well as it did (under 3" with me shooting, and that is probably good for me :-)

I am not going to try and get them to pay for the work to do it. they are a stand up shop and will fix anything they have worked on even sometimes if it is not directly related to what they did. they just have limited ability.

a good smith will not have hurt the action with the heating to remove the screws, if you arent sure have it checked out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input... The woman with the 300 rum is
actually a 15 yr. old girl. She sure embarrased a lot of
the guys when she shot a 345 bull on a over the counter license in unit 21 south of Rangely Co {4th season} I will post soon pictures soon
hysider

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, that is scary. any time we want to embarass guys that are afraid of big guns we just hand one to my mom, she'll shoot anything and then ask for more ammo.

But it is great too, she should get some of her female friends into it, so hard to get girls interested and they are so much better at making their voices heard in small numbers. if we got a good group of them together they would be great opponents for the tree huggers.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote