New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 721/722 front sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a call from a friend who wants to remove the front sight of a Remington 722. He's wanting to know if it is sweated in place or mounted with screws. I've never worked with one, so I have no idea. What say ye, all-knowing wise persons?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It is sweated on. Grip the sight with vise grips, direct the neutral tip of an Oxy/Acetylene flame to the sight and remove. For minimum damage, apply heat control paste to the bore and heat just the sight.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recollect correctly, they are brazed on and are a real pain to remove. Takes a lot of heat. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ditto Malm and Bill. Lots of heat to get them off, but I usually don't waste time with them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote