Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger on a Voere rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
A friend of mine has a Voere bolt action rifle that looks like a typical Mauser 98 clone except the safety is a tang slide safety.
Was going to help him put in a Timney but wondering which Timney to order for it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I think they were standard Santa Barbara actions but - - - -

There could be a problem. I don't think that you can put a different trigger in without removing that big, plastic tang. The tang is also the rear bedding block. I think you may be digging yourself into a hole.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Not an expert

I used to own a 7X64 Mauser 98 (military thumb cut out) with a tang safety and trigger - the whole thing was a module. If you replaced the trigger, the stock would have ugly gaps from the safety system. Not sure you can put a differnt trigger & link it to the old safety.

I think my rifle was from after world war 2.

It had claw mounts with a German scope and it shot very accurately.

It was NOT the real classy rifles from the 1930 or earlier.

My vagu memory says there was a "Akah" mark on the rifle or the safety.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I think they were standard Santa Barbara actions but - - - -

There could be a problem. I don't think that you can put a different trigger in without removing that big, plastic tang. The tang is also the rear bedding block. I think you may be digging yourself into a hole.

Right now the current trigger is very hard to use. If you load the rifle and pull the trigger the pull is long, hard and creepy. If you engage the safety then disengage it the pull is lighter but inconsistent, very distracting. Rifle appears to be 1970's vintage (not sure)
When you can tolerate the trigger the rifle is extremely accurate with a variety of ammunition.
I'll take it out of the stock when he is done hunting with it this season.
Hoping to install a trigger with a side safety and maybe bypass the slide tang safety but like I said I haven't opened it up yet.

Thanks to you both for the input.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom I have a couple Voere rifles with the tang safety. I believe Rod is correct in saying the trigger is not easily changed. First Voere used both sporterized military 98 actions (with the thumb slot) and newer Santa Barbra actions (no thumb slot). The tang safety is intregal to the trigger. You try to replace the trigger and your tang safety will no longer be functional. As for your problem with the trigger. Check to make sure the metal sleeve or pillar that the rear guard screw goes through is installed properly. There is a small step machined in the top end of it that fits into the trigger/safety. I picked up one of these rifles for cheap because the trigger / safety would not work at all. Put the stepped end back into the trigger properly and everything worked just fine. Also check the cocking piece on the bolt. Has Bubba been working on it?? Hope this helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I saw one once that had a big walnut Dutchman put in to fill the void left by the tang. It worked and had to have been professionally done because it didn't look all that bad. It would have been a pile of work though.

If it's simply unlivable the way it is and the action is still 100% 89 Mauser, I think that it's (Hello Boyds time) and I would get a 98 Mauser stock and a new trigger and go that wrought. If you're in the USA that will be your cheapest approach. Then save the old stock and trigger for church meetings. Unless some clown is willing to install the Dutchman for cheap. Which I doubt. I wouldn't ! And I get awful suspicious when people are willing to work for cheap. You often get cheap, for cheap.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote