New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington oddity?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While appraising and examining a few rifles for a widow friend of mine, I came across a Remington 700 BDL long action rifle marked "7mm-'06" Anyone out there ever seen or heard of one like this?

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Many year's ago I bedded a Mauser for a guy that was chambered for 7mm-06 but I have never heard of it as a Remington factory chambering.

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I remember reading something about that but I can't remember if it was when they were changing the name on 280 Rem to 7mm Rem Express?? or the change from 244 to 6mm Rem and had some other name for a brief period on the 6mm.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
As Mike375 says it was during a name change. The name 7mm/06 was tried but had a problem as the .280 Rem is not a 7mm/06 but a unique case with a headspace longer than the 06.

How did you appraise it?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I don't recall that Remington marked production rifles with 7mm-'06. I would examine the barrel carefully to see if this is the work of a gunsmith.

Not to say that it did not occur, though.

They did rename the .280 Remington the 7mm Remington Express, but went back to the .280 Rem name to avoid lawsuits over people trying to shoot 7mm Express in the 7mm Remington Magnum rifles. My .280 is marked 7mm Express.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is definitely a Remington roll mark.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
In all the thousands of Remington rifles I have seen......I have seen exactly one marked 7-06....yes, there are a few out there.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember an article written about this by Jon Sundra some years back. Apparently while Remington was waffling about the 280/7mm Express/7mm-06 name change, some rifles and some ammo made it out of the factory marked "7mm-06". Apparently the 7mm Express thing didn't work because some intellectually challenged folk figured it should fit in their 7mm Remington Magnums. (Hey, it says Remington and 7mm on the box, right?) - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the end of this thread. I just got a message via e-mail from Remington and it seems you guys ore mostly right. They did ship a few rifles out marked this way and they were actually .280rem/7mm express.

Thanks for the replies. By the way, are there any offers on this? It is for sale.

Jim