New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been discussed in the past but I please need more info seeing that I dont get the answers that I need.
Long story short.
I have a cz 550 in 30-06.It had a Lynx 3-9 scope in lynx rings and we had no problems with decent groupings.
I then went ahead and bought a Swarovski 6-18x 50 av and mounted it on the same rings.
The scope would not adjust upwards to hit the target at a hundred meters .
We went to a gunsmith and he said our gun and scope is fine.
We went to the second gunsmith and he said that the scope needs to be recalibrated!!???.
I e mailed Swarovski and they said I should see if the gun adjusts up and down,I think 20 inches or so and if it does then everything is fine.
So my brother and I had the bright spark that we should use high mounts but with the scopes adjustment bottomed out it is still 5 inches low at 100 meters and that to me is wrong.
Please advise us what to do to fix this problem,because nobody in this country can give us an answer on our questions so that is why I turn to you guys for help.
My last resort now is to use Burris Signature rings with the posi allign inserts,but then I need to know which bases to use that will fit a cz and accept one of their rings ,because after an e mail to both Burris and cz America none of them could tell me which base to use[go figure that one out].
I know there is alot of you guys that own these guns and maybe some of you ran into the same problem as I.Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated and an explanation to this happening would be an eye opener to me.
I thank you in advance
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just curious if you can swap the rings front to back?

As far as I know Burris doesn't make a CZ adaptor. Their cz ring is #420130 but it isn't a Signature type ring.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Where in RSA do you live

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Johan, you may not be able to make that combination work. I have seen the problem you are experiencing in the past, always with a high powered scope. The 30-06 will do anything you need with a 3x9, not the answer you probably want. Other than that, if your rings are adjustable for windage, center the scope reticle for windage, use the rings to bring it into line with the point of impact, then try to get the elevation adjusted. The scope has maximum elevation movement when the scope is at optical zero for windage.

Best of luck to you.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may switch to EAW scope mounts; you will have complete adjustment of windage and elevation

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my Brno 602 which is basically the same action. Still shoots about 1" low at 100 with the scope adjusted as high as it will go. Was planning to adapt some Burris signature rings to some Brno bases that I have.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Depending on how much upward adjustment you need, we use a shim in the rings for this.

Aluminium paper, in the required number of layers can be used.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using higher rings will not correct the problem. Use the lowest you can get away with.
Center the vertical adjustment and shim the rear base to get on center. You will have to play with it. Adjusting the scope too close to it's limits is bad on the scope and can damage it.
A close estimate is .001" shim per inch at 100 yd's.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I calculated that if I want my scope in its mid range of adjustment I would have to raise the back ring by .050".

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hart:
I calculated that if I want my scope in its mid range of adjustment I would have to raise the back ring by .050".

Your 4+ feet low at 100yd?????????????????? Or are your rings only 1/2" apart?
If your rings are (c-c) 3.6 apart, than it's exactly .001 shim / 1" of movement on the target.
Inches of movement required (at 100yd) / 3600 (number of inches in 100yd) x c-c spacing of the rings = thickness of shim required. (cm movement required at 100M / 10,000 x c-c (cm) = cm of shim required)
Shim under the rear ring to raise the impact point, shim under the front ring to lower the impact point.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by hart:

Your 4+ feet low at 100yd?????????????????? Or are your rings only 1/2" apart?
If your rings are (c-c) 3.6 apart, than it's exactly .001 shim / 1" of movement on the target.
Inches of movement required (at 100yd) / 3600 (number of inches in 100yd) x c-c spacing of the rings = thickness of shim required. (cm movement required at 100M / 10,000 x c-c (cm) = cm of shim required)
Shim under the rear ring to raise the impact point, shim under the front ring to lower the impact point.

I had calculated this quite a while ago and have forgotten how I did it, but I know it has to move a long way. According to Leupold my scope has an adjustment range of 75" at 100yds. If I take half of that to get the scope adjustment back to center, it gives me 37". Add 1" to that which is how much it is shooting low right now with the scope at the end of its adjustment, I now have 38". I would like the rifle to shoot about 2" high at 100yds so I now have 40". Also my rings are a little wider appart at 4 5/8". This should get me close to a .050" shim. Or is my math way off?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just like to reply and say thank you for everyone that replied and gave some info.
After a long search I found a compotent gunsmith in our area.He took his bubble leveller and found out to our and his astonishment that both bases on the barrel were of different hights,that the back base was torqued and that the mounts did not allign with the barrel.So after some milling,drilling for new bases and some lapping we now have a rifle that puts 5 rounds in one hole @ 100 meters and the scope has 700mm adjustment up and 700mm down.
The gunsmith told us that if it was not that difficult to get the licence stories figured out that he would have asked the importer of Cz for a new rifle for us{he is personel friends with him}.
So that just shows you what happens with mass produced firearms.
But I am not complaining,I now have a shooter and after the gun gets his Mcmillan stock ,I will have a keeper.
Thanks once again
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote