New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tru oil ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just tried tru oil out on a gunstock and wasnt impressed with it ! anybody have an opinion on something that gives a good oil finsih ?My Steyr SBS came from factory with no finish at all just bare wood and no finish on stock Confused

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here are two really good products I've used.

1. Permalyn finish & sealer. This stuff builds up quickly and it wears very well. It's a rub on type finish which means there are a lot ways to mess it up when you put it on.

2. My favorite Big Grin Gun Sav'R CUSTOM OIL GUNSTOCK FINISH. This stuff gives a very nice finish and it comes in a rattle can. It's a built up finish and once cured is as tuff as anything out there.

Niether of these are probably the "best" but they are both user friendly which helps a novice like me get the best finish possible.

Terry

Here is one I did with the gunsav'R

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boucanier,
Tru oil works well for me but it is not a quick process. To do it right takes at least a week and sometimes more. Both rifles below were done with a product that works exactly as Tru Oil does. I have been using both products for more than 20 years, depending on which is available at the time. How did you apply it? Maybe I can help you to get the finish you want.

TC1,
That is one beautiful piece of wood and an excellent finish as well!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your problems with TruOil. I recently went back to it for a few stocks. Mainly because I ran out of what I'd been using and I had a couple of new bottles of TruOil that I'd picked up at a garage sale.

I don't think what product you use is as important as how you apply it. Within reason, of course. I thin the TruOil down about 50/50 with mineral spirits. Then I apply it as any other oil finish, rub it on by hand and wet sand it with progessively finer paper until I get the finish I want.

TruOil gets a bad rap from the stocks that have it applied thicker than a bowling pin. They make new Browning stocks look like a fine finish to me. It can be built up that way, I'm not sure why you would want to. But if that's your fancy, go for it. More power to ya'.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
CUSTOM OIL GUNSTOCK FINISH

I used Tru oil for 20+ years. Per the man that was going to do my checkering I tried Custom Oil. I will never go back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
These stocks have tru-oil on/in them. You can't follow the directions to get a finish like this. Lots of sloppy wet sanding. Bill Soverns is trying to get me to try his latest & greatest finish. I probably will on my next project. Can't remember what it is. Confused
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use Teak Oil and have been well satisfied with the ease of use and the finish. It's called Seafin Teak Oil and I get it from Daly's in Seattle. It's actually supposed to be used on boat trim I think which should speak well of it's durability. Not particularly expensive.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe-

I've been leaning towards the Seafin as it's been recommended here by a number of stockmakers I admire.

I'm wondering if it could be preceeded with Seafin Sealer?

flaco

Also, does it tend to change the color of the wood?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Gun Sav'r. If I'd only found this 20 years ago...

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Flaco-
I don't see why you couldn't use the sealer I just never have as I didn't know it existed when I first used Teak oil. Doesn't change color anymore than putting water on wood does. Just a slight darkening of wood but no real color change.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote