New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 barrel job
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys I was on another forum and a person posting there was getting quotes for a rebarrel ona Ruger #1.
I recommended he join AR and post here. The people he talked to gave around $1,100+ estimate.
That sounds a little steep to me.
Anyone out there have experience doing the job or know an affordable smith who does?
I know the indexing and barrel rib are unique to the #1s but surely it can't be so difficult as to require almost double the price of most rifle rebarrel jobs.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished up one in a 6.5x55. Extra work to drill and tap and fit the rib and the extractor cut but still pretty straightforward. I charged the guy $285, barrel extra.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. That sounds more like it to me.
Don't know the area he is in yet but , as far as I'm concerned UPS gets things where they're needed cheap enough to not worry about location for good work.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the rifle in need resides in Sioux Falls SD. But hopefully he will join here and talk with some of you himself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim has done several #1s for me. sendit to him and have him do a trigger job and redo the forend mounting - you will be pleased

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff mills:
Guys I was on another forum and a person posting there was getting quotes for a rebarrel ona Ruger #1.
I recommended he join AR and post here. The people he talked to gave around $1,100+ estimate.
Anyone out there have experience doing the job or know an affordable smith who does?
I know the indexing and barrel rib are unique to the #1s but surely it can't be so difficult as to require almost double the price of most rifle rebarrel jobs.

I'd like to hear the rest of the story...Did that include re installing ribs and sights?

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff mills:

I'd like to hear the rest of the story...Did that include re installing ribs and sights?

Could be he didn't want to do it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could be he didn't want to do it

I find that his is a common reason for high estimates or bids.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the guys he talked to we're not experienced with them and we're planning to sub out the job to another smith.
Or maybe as stated, they wanted the " I don't really want to do it" price for the job.