New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been gifted a mauser Argentine 1909 that had been sporterized and imported by Interarms. At least that is what the box it came in has printed on it. It came with a small blue manual but I cant find it right now.

My question is: What needs done to it to make it a classy hunting rifle. Who would you have do it and what would a ball park figure for cost be?

I am thinking of a 7X57 or 30-06 or 35 whelen or 9.3X62. My stock style would depend on what cart. I choose leaning more toward classic for the 7X57 and 30-06 and rigby? for the 35 whelen or 9.3X62.

Any recommendations you have are greatly appreciated!

Best regards, John358

Thanks

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Part timer Bobby Debany did this one. M1909 in 7x57. It was re-heat treated and the bbl is by Douglas.

m1909

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks richj. That is what I had in mind. You have a very nice rifle indeed. Can you elaborate as to what modifications were done to the action? I have some (little) knowledge about my stock and barrel options(more)but Iam really am not sure what action modifications are essential versus say more elective in nature. Thanks.
John358

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I may piggyback on this thread, I have a 1909 Argie that I would like to make into a 9,3 x 62. Nothing exotic, but the cartridge will be somewhat fatter at the shoulder than the original one the magazine box was designed for.

Forgive my ignorance, but will this be a simple matter of filing the inside of the stock magazine box to optimize feeding, or will it require surgery to the sides of the magazine box?

Since I will add a three position safety, what would be a good replacement trigger? I just want a crisp and dependable 3.25# pull weight.

Thanks.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lawndart, contact Mike Dettorre. I was talking to him tonight and he has a mauser barrel that is chambered in 9.3X64. It is the 9.3X62 on steroids. It will still work out of a mauser box. The 09 box has to be extended a bit for o6 length shells. More than fileing.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart

I have used Blackburn triggers with very good success in a few mausers I own. timneys are good as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I'll give Mike a PM.

Will probably go with the Blackburn.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
If I may piggyback on this thread, I have a 1909 Argie that I would like to make into a 9,3 x 62. Nothing exotic, but the cartridge will be somewhat fatter at the shoulder than the original one the magazine box was designed for.

Forgive my ignorance, but will this be a simple matter of filing the inside of the stock magazine box to optimize feeding, or will it require surgery to the sides of the magazine box?

Thanks.

LD

My 09 9.3x62 has unaltered rails, follower and box. It feeds 3 reliable from the mag but 4 is too much for precisely the reason you theorised. I manualy load one in the chamber (so the follower has been ground to remove the empty stop..) and forget about it.

Were I to go to Africa I might change that but I'm not so I won't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1909 argentine is quite a rifle. I saw a beautifull one at a gunshow this last weekend, with the hinged floorplate and a bayonete. I would have paid 200 in hart beat but not the 350 the guy was asking. I would prbably go with the 7X57, of the rounds you lis but the .257 roberts on the same case is a great round, for deer. I ant to build one myself. I love the 06 and the Whelen to
so you really can't go wrong, The 9.3X62 is the round I would choose if I were planing to take the rifle to alaska or africa...tj3006

freedom1st