Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Squeak on Ruger Mark II - Help!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Hello, I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in .458 Lott. My problem is that when I close the bolt there is a loud "squeak" that I have not been able to identify. If closed real real slow, no problem. I have oiled, cleaned, etc and it does not appear to be external "metal-on-metal".

When I apply downward pressure on the rear of the fire pin assembly (where the word "SAFE" appears), the squeak dissapears regardless of how fast the bold is turned.

It's driving me nuts, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you hold the trigger back as you lower the bolt handle does this squeak shill persist?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are threads that rotate inside the bolt. You can see them if you remove the firing pin. Are they lubricated?

Lubricants made with a synthetic base stock are good for this.

Are your bolt lugs lubricated?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
D, No, when the trigger is held back it does not squeak. What do you think?

Savage, I didn't remove the firing pin from the bolt assembly, I'll check.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Put a dab of grease on the bolt shroud threads (where the shroud screws into the rear of the bolt body).

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Would suggest that you not put oil anywhere on the bolt or action per se, but rather a good quality grease w/ extreme temperature ranges. There are numerous commercial brands on the market, but many use disc brake grease, synthetic, found in auto parts stores. Economical and has very broad range for temps. Place on back side of bolt lugs, both ways in action, cam surface on rear of action/bolt area, and yes in your case, on the threads of the striker/bolt shroud. Sparingly!! None to be on bolt face and that is one reason oil should be avoided for it is easy to get in the wrong place.

Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't use grease or oil at all. Clean everything down as much as possible and then heat it up with your hairdryer or put the parts in the oven on a cookie sheet to get them up to about 150 degrees F, and then put some microlon gun juice or Bore Tech tef dri on all the bearing surfaces. I have done most all of my rifles this way and they work smooth and quiet and don't attract/hold dust, dirt etc.

Having said that, D Humbarger is right a little lube should kill your squeak.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote