New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portly Mauser...
 Login/Join

<G.Malmborg>
posted
I have a customers 98 in hand that needs to go on diet. Among other things, he has requested that I replace his bottom metal with something made of aluminum to further reduce weight. Does anyone know of a source for such an item? I have checked with Brownells but the one they list is unavailable.

Thank you,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it needs to undergo bariatric surgery and come out as a Rem mountain rifle or short M-70. [Big Grin]

I think you're referring to the Whitetail Indus. or something like that, which I've heard described as crap but have never seen. Voere also made bottom metal that had removable magazines, but I don't think they do anymore. Those are the only ones I've heard of.

What about just making a blind magazine and using a Savage trigger bow or something like that?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Choates makes a lightweight stock, that has a blind magazine, it cut's alot of weight from a Mauser, plus lengthens then magazine box.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yea I've discussed different stocks, blind magazines etc., but the fellow, a die hard Alaskan/hunter, want's to keep his walnut stock but lose the weight in the area of the barrel and bottom metal. We've got the barrel concerns whipped, now looking for some aluminum in a different form other than beer cans...
[Smile]

Thank you both anyhow...

Malm

[ 03-02-2003, 20:17: Message edited by: G.Malmborg ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the existing bottom metal, swiss cheese it with holes and remove all the metal you can and it will be as light, and in many cases lighter as an aluminum bottom metal, but much stronger, you could, God forbid, even add an aluminun floor plate to it..Aluminum floorplates have been known to break...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
Yea I've discussed different stocks, blind magazines etc., but the fellow, a die hard Alaskan/hunter, want's to keep his walnut stock but lose the weight in the area of the barrel and bottom metal. We've got the barrel concerns whipped, now looking for some aluminum in a different form other than beer cans...
[Smile]

Thank you both anyhow...

Malm

I'm interested in how you're going to sort the barrel without the channel looking rather odd.

I would also be very interested in the detail and weight losses of the various bits when it's done. I have a 9lb 2oz 7x57 on an 09 that I want reduced to around 8.25lbs or so. The scope'll provide 5ozs but that leaves a fair old bit.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's does, or did, sell aluminum bottom metal with swing open mag well rather cheaply.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that the bottom metal from an FN Mauser would fit. The Browning FN used aluminum, so if you could find one of those, it would fit the bill.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Check with Williams Manufacturing. They post here pretty regular. Me seems to remember that they were working on new Mauser bottom metal. Don't know what varieties they've come up with but it might be worth the inquiry.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote