Tools

Re: STEYR SBS OPINIONS PLEASE ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
JCN,

I have the same pair of rifles.

If you motor over to John Schaefer's Steyr Scout website, there is good coverage of the SBS, albeit from the Scout rifle perspective.

http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

John also has the data to document JCN's comment on great accuracy.

The SBS in .308 Win can have trouble with light hits on mil spec primers in 7.62X51 military ammunition. The why is documented on John's site, as is his method of curing the problem. I took both my rifles to visit Father Frog (as he is known), and he performed his hand-work and polishing operation on both bolts. The difference was apparent in both bolt force to cock the action, and no more light primer hits on the military stuff.

One thing about the SBS: although it is a push-feed action, the detachable magazine allows the action to feed about anything. I fed some .375"/300 grain solids in my .376 that I had trouble with in a CRF .375 H&H (I was testing feeding of very blunt profile solids for a bullet maker).

They are good rifles.

Now the major problem with the SBS is that Steyr-Mannlicher does not have a clue about marketing. I and others have tried to help them help themsleves in the US Market, but no joy. They are limp...

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 scouts, a 376 and a 308, and a Mcmillan stocked HB. They shoot from very good to great. The SBS system is easy to use. They aren't as smooth as Sako's but nothing else is. I would rate them in the upper third of available rifles and wouldn't mind hunting with them in any appropriate caliber........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thankyou for your comments ! i had a steyr professional some years ago ,in 30-06 .iam glad they went to a front locking action,in the sbs.I did not like the plastic trigger guard ,the cyclolac stock on mine broke like a match stick in a fall and could not be repaired .Steyr seemed to combine good features with cheap plastic crap ,like the magazine .the sbs is a definite improvement !

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote