Find
Notify
Tools

Ebony chunk size?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
If you were looking for ebony for a forearm tip what would be the ideal size?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
2 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 4"

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a larger chunk that I cut off of when I need one. Usually, a cube 2"-2.25" will do. It doesn't need to be as big as the uncut blank, just big enough to not leave gaps on the finished product. A little planning before attaching it goes a long way. A pile of ebony dust and curls on the floor won't make you feel better.

I don't understand the need for a 4" long piece. That would be an awful lot of ebony sticking out there. Then again, a trip to the bandsaw and I'd have two pieces!

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You want it big and long enough to shape as needed. The last thing you want is to dictate the shape of the tip by the size of the piece glued on the end of the stock. 4" gives you plenty of room for a couple of try's before you glue in on.

A lot of ebony is sold in that size and it seems to work pretty good.

I'm just assuming you're looking for a piece to buy.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You can easily cut enough off of a 4" piece to get a grip cap from and still have plenty for shaping the forend tip.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote