Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Flutting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Anyone have a source for professional bolt flutting on a la Remington 700 bolt. Price (cheap would be nice) but I'm after a good looking job more than anything else, and a quick turn around time...after all isn't that all its good for is looks.Smiler If you had one done and like it let me know...I've already searched it on the net and there are just too many doing it and thought someone here could direct me to who you had experience with and would recommend. Not looking to get the bolt knob changed...I like the factory handle as is. Thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Go the Accurateshooter.com. A guy named bolt fluter resides there. I've had Karl Feldcamp of Kampfeld customs do some for me. I can get you a contact later today.

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_008.htm

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or just buy a new one from PTG. Pacific Tool and Gauge.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Or just buy a new one from PTG. Pacific Tool and Gauge.

The problem with that is you will have to install and time the bolt handle and reset the headspace. Karl is cheaper and probably faster.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I liked what I saw from Karl on the net. Butch if you have it handy good, if not I'll search for it. At the moment it is just the receiver being set up for barrel. Talked to PTG and well I can do the work on this bolt myself, just don't have a cnc machine for flutting of bolt.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I put Karl's website address on my first post on this thread.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have used Twisted Barrel a couple times

$60

One week turnaround

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Yea, I seen that after I posted Butch...Thanks!
Bennett and Ted...Thank you also!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Found him...thanks Butch!

http://proprecisionrifles.com/

Bolt Fluter

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
It looks like you have already found what you are looking for but I thought I would share this. You don't need a CNC to do helical fluting. I do it on an old Cincinnati universal mill.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
It looks like you have already found what you are looking for but I thought I would share this. You don't need a CNC to do helical fluting. I do it on an old Cincinnati universal mill.

Now you need to get rid of the Remington bolt handle. There are a few ways to do it on manual equip., but most of us don't see the need to search it out and pay for the equip. How many bolts can you get fluted for the cost of the old equip?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I like that looks good H2o.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Any mill will work. You just need a universal dividing head with a banjo to connect to one of your hand wheels. If you use sprocket cutters, convex or involute gear cutters you need to be able to angle the head.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-2...&hash=item51cff8fa9f

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

Now you need to get rid of the Remington bolt handle. There are a few ways to do it on manual equip., but most of us don't see the need to search it out and pay for the equip. How many bolts can you get fluted for the cost of the old equip?

I have an entire shop full of old equiptment as well as CNC's. I am a machinist and won't pay someone to do what I can do myself. Gives me an excuse to get a new toy. As far as the bolt handle, the customer wanted it left alone.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many bolts could you have fluted at that cost. Saying your time and equip. time is worth nothing.
This was in regards to Speer's post. What I'm trying to point out is it is more cost effective to pay a good shop to do it. I can do a lot of things in my shop, but with my tooling straight flutes are my limit.
srtrax works in a large shop with a lot of capabilities, but sees the economics to pay to have a bolt fluted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many bolts could you have fluted at that cost. Saying your time and equip. time is worth nothing.
This was in regards to Speer's post. What I'm trying to point out is it is more cost effective to pay a good shop to do it. I can do a lot of things in my shop, but with my tooling straight flutes are my limit.
srtrax works in a large shop with a lot of capabilities, but sees the economics to pay to have a bolt fluted.

EGGZACKERY ! ! !

From a cost effective standpoint, it's always cheaper to let someone that's already setup for it, do it. On top of that he would probably do a better job of it than the first half dozen that you do yourself. You would probably have to do 15 or 20 units just to pay for a universal head with a banjo and get past the learning curve. Those dividing heads are not the same as the ones found in regular machine shops and gun shops as they have a PTO coming out the back to drive the gears. Most guys don't realize that.

But, all that said, it can be accomplished on and knee or horizontal mill if you wish to add a universal head. I can do it, and I'm pretty dumb, so probably most folk can.

Smiler

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
I understand your point, however I think you missed mine. I paid 2k for the machine, it has every attachment available with it. I don't only flute bolts, I also helical and diamond flute barrels as well. The machine has already more than paid for itself.
If I only did a couple of bolts a year then yes, I would send then out. But that's not really my style, too much machinist in me I guess.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have an entire shop full of old equiptment as well as CNC's. I am a machinist and won't pay someone to do what I can do myself. Gives me an excuse to get a new toy. As far as the bolt handle, the customer wanted it left alone.

Very nice work. While I like doing things myself as well, I do see Butch's point. Your customer is paying for the fluting, not you. I seriously doubt you are doing the work for free. If you send out the bolt to be fluted, you can concentrate on the other parts of the project, and deliver the final product quicker. Time is Money.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
We have 2 top shelf Haas cabinet mills

Several sinker EDM one is CNC

Wire edm and the list goes on and on for equipment and tooling

For $60 twisted barrel still gets my work

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need to go back to the beginning of this thread and read what the OP asked. Steve didn't ask about your skill or equip. He just wanted to know where he could have it done. Steve has the knowledge and equip. available to do it also, but for one he knows his time and machinery are more valuable to him than fluting 1 bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
We have 2 top shelf Haas cabinet mills

Several sinker EDM one is CNC

Wire edm and the list goes on and on for equipment and tooling

For $60 twisted barrel still gets my work

Ted, My post was directed to the waterboy, not you.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Seems I must be out to lunch here... No disrespect to anyone but I can flute a bolt and make money. If you choose to send it out, great. I simply do not, I have a very different mindset than most.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evidently.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I can't cut helical flutes in a 700 bolt for $60

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I happen to be set up for it, so I can. That being said, I am not going to make an injection mold... That's not what I do.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You would be surprised by how many people there are that rent space, buy tooling and try to work for $20 an hour Ted. The world is full of them. I see them every damned day. As soon as they go broke there are two more that pop up that figure that they can do it even cheaper with twice the quality. And the circle continues.

ADD NOTE: They are handy to have around though. I send them all the whiny, cheapskates that I don't want to work for. And I bounce around grinning like the evil bastard that I am every time I do it. It quite literally makes my whole week ! ! ! !

Wink

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you need to go back to the beginning of this thread and read what the OP asked. Steve didn't ask about your skill or equip. He just wanted to know where he could have it done. Steve has the knowledge and equip. available to do it also, but for one he knows his time and machinery are more valuable to him than fluting 1 bolt.

Butch,
I am assuming this was directed to me. If not then please clarify this.

While I do not know Steve, I never questioned his ability to do the work himself. I posted a picture of my work in case there was an issue and he needed a back up plan. If that were to happen I would be happy to do so for him.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Dirk...I'm always looking for a backup plan, and it looks to me like you do good work. Butch is right, I only have the one bolt to be done. What kind of price do you get for fluting a 700 L.A. bolt per bolt you pictured?

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Steve,

$65.00 + return shipping.

Thanks

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I've already set the job up or I would have used an AR member here, price is right.
Question: How do you like the 3 position safety on the Remington? I've been eyeballing and thinking it over. Is it the one from PTG?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I have 2 PT&G 3 pos safety. One is on my Remington clone Pierce receiver and the other is on my 40X rimfire. They both work just fine.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
I've already set the job up or I would have used an AR member here, price is right.
Question: How do you like the 3 position safety on the Remington? I've been eyeballing and thinking it over. Is it the one from PTG?

The one in the pic was made by Jim Wisner. They are extremely well made. I do not have any experience with PTG's but it sounds like they are good.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I milled the bolt handle on this Reminton of mine but had TB do the faux Ti flutes in the bolt

It's hard to see but the slot doesn't go all the way through the handle shank. When the handle is closed you can't see the slot. I prefer this over holes or through slots.

Don't be over dazzled by the rust blue on my old 700......that is genuine rust and very little blue

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't be over dazzled by the rust blue on my old 700......that is genuine rust and very little blue

Ted, That's funny!
Nice picture of your buck and that really cool Kudu!
Hope to see you and that T rusty ol' 30/06 this fall!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Ted... the flutes look good on ol' rusty. Wink
Thanks guys for all the input!