New
Find
Notify
Tools

M48 versus K98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone compare them for me? I'm talking about the M48's that are for sale by Mitchell's. Are they the same as the K98's? As smooth? Are they as strong? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't claim to be a mauser expert. But, they are not the same as a K98. First, the M48 is a shorter "intermediate" lenght action. Basically a large ring mauser built to small ring length. K98s are the "Standard length" larger ring. The barrel also has an extractor slot milled into it, which I believe the K98 does not. I don't have a k98 to compare with, but my M48a is substantially rougher than my vz24, both visually and operationally.

That said, I believe the action is every bit as strong, my M48a having digested some seriously stout 200 gr loads at the range, without a hiccup. Feed and function was fine, though not as smooth as with my Vz. Mine was listed in "As New" condition when I bought it. It is not from Mitchells.

HOpe this helps,

Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea! What he said.
It would be rare to find an m48 or 48a that is as smooth as a nice vz24, or m24 or m24/47, for that matter.

That said, it is usually very easy to "lap" a Yugo to be as smooth as a vz.

My personal favorite of the current crop of K98 clones or variants is the M 24/47, some are even Belgian made. I own several that had new barrels installed before being packed away in cosmolene. I have 2 that are as accurate as any "modern" iron sighted, mass produced rifle .

You should be able to find a nice one for < $150.00.

BTW, my most accurate Yugos seem to prefer heavier bullet weights, like the 196 gr. S&B loads.

[ 09-22-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The M48 IS a 98 variant, it is just a tad bit shorter but some considerable chamberings have been done with 98's with alterations so I suppose that a M48 could be opened up some as well. Mine is a M48a and it has no extractor slot milled into the bbl, in fact it wears the bbl off of my M98. They are every bit as strong as a 98 and use the same threads but mine appears to lack the vent hole that is on most 98's.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
Donot and I repeat donot buy anything from mitchell's mausers. They are very misleading in their add they make you think you are getting a german k98 mauser but in reality you are getting a run of the mill yugo m48. If you where getting a k98 it might be worth the money, but a yugo m48 goes for around a 100$ at best. I am not saying that building a gun from a m48 would be bad necessarily or that they aren't fine rifles but don't get ripped off. A k98 is certainly a better rifle as well as being much more collectable. If you are wanting to save money on a mauser sporter, the best route would be to start with a VZ24 or 98/22 excellant action quaility and they are a real large ring action, also if you have a big 5 sporting goods these guns can be had for 69$ complete. if you go this route check the bore of the vz24 they are usually sewer pipes, the 98/22's seem to have better barrel and not as much abuse. if you are not using the original barrel disregard

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cummins cowboy,
I know about BIG5, I have 25 Mausers in storage because my car can't drive past a BIG5 sale.

TERRY8mm,
Who still has M 24/47 Mausers?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Impact Guns still advertises them: http://www.impactguns.com/store/rifle_bolt.html

I bought a M48 and M24/47 from them a while back and they very good to deal with.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with "AIM WHOLESALE" and "CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS".

Both have websites and I have bought from both in the last few months.

Also try cdnninvestments.com, they don't list them on the website, but you can get the number and give them a call.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.kyimports.com/rifle3.htm#mauser

They have 24/47 for $119.99

And $119 at:
http://www.kieslersonline.com/product/ko_firearms.asp?Page=4

[ 09-27-2003, 08:56: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote