New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN mauser 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anything special about a 98 that has a big FN on the front ring?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN's (Fabrique Nationale, Belgium) are among the most desired due to overall quality. They usually bring a premium.

Posts: 3715 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
The local gunshop has a complete rifle that looks like it has some kind of parkerize over dirt on it. The wood shows that the sling fit into the stock rather than sling swivels. Would you have any price range?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
I paid 300.00 for the last action I bought about little over 2 years ago. It was a commercial style. Lots of folks would like to fing the one you are looking at
Dan

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This receiver has the thumb cut, did the commercial have that?
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is a military with the park finish and the side sling. Maybe it was coarsely sand blasted if it is rough looking. Early commercial actions had the thumb cut. I would ask to remove it from the stock to inspect for pitting. Many FN's were produced for South American countries and weren't cared for properly. If it is an original military with a good bore I'd say $300 is about right.

Posts: 3715 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has no thumb cut. As Bob says thats a military. Still a good action. I have a Colombian FN that I made a 264 mag with that I shot so much I got tired of shooting it Big Grin

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Need a photo of that receiver Butch.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Anything special about a 98 that has a big FN on the front ring?
Butch

If it is a commercial FN(w/o the thumb cut)with the banner, I believe it would be a "C" ring action. These are more sought after than the later FNs with the H ring(Sears, Sako, etc.)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah! I was just going to post asking if it was C-ring or H-ring. although it is done all the time I have known gunsmiths that didn't like building magnums on the H-rings, much preferring the C-ring. the reason for those that didn't know, that they went to H-ring was it is easier to manufacture than the c-ring.

that's actually usually the reason for things on these guns where we scratch our heads and say "huh?"

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get to the gunshop and photo it this weekend. I don't think it is going anywhere.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The ones with the Paint type finish are suppose to be made of very good metal.
Best cycle the action too as some are quite sloppy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that the early commercial FN's had the thumb cut and around 1948 they changed to the solid wall.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have an FN early post-war, no thumb cutout. But the FN in an oval is on the left side with the markings ACTION-MADE IN BELGIUM behind it. SN is an R and a U or O19XX.
No other markings. Drilled and tapped, and the right rear has two screws for a rear sight that mounts there. I think mine has replacement shroud and side safety, with a trigger guard with a push button release. 375H&H Improved.
Barreled action and 95% inletted stock of very nice walnut. Late 2010 project rifle.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich - in 1957 FN introduced the FN Deluxe and Series "300" and was later changed to FN Supreme - this action had the features that you described. The magnum actions were the same size as the 30-06 with an extended mag box. Frank de Haas' Bolt Action Rifles has a nice section on the FN's - my edition was printed around 1971.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a few pictures. A very dark gunshop and the photos show a lot of pitting. It is in NATO 308.

This rifle is too nasty for me and especially at the asking price.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I thought I got hammered on the one I bought. That one is really rough. I figured mine had a poor attempt to refinish the stock and I could fix it right up. That is until I took the scope mount of it. Drilled right through the crest, crooked, three holes. What a shame. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote