New
Find
Notify
Tools

OOOOHH what to do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dont post here that often, but I couldn't think of a better group to ask this of. Yesterday I handled a pre-64 300 H&H model 70 that I can aquire if I wish, but I can't figure out what to do. Here's the skinny, it is a standard grade, a little exterior rust flakes on the barrel (the kind that clean up with oil and steel wool) a complete original stock with no finish left, and is missing the floor plate follower and spring. Do I buy it to custom it, take it back to its original state, or let somone else have it? I also don't know how much to pay. Help.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well If you can buy cheap it would be a great gun to build whatever you want. I have one thats not in perfect condition and had it rechambered to 300 ultra mag and it out shoots all of my rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H is a great classic cartridge. I'd replace the bottom metal with a new one piece from Matt Williams.(Or you can wait for his new inside-the-bow release model which is almost
ready for production)

I suppose Jim Wisner can supply the spring and follower, if not, try Ebay.

Refinish the stock to original condition and
have the checkering repointed. If it needs a reblue do a bead blast blue from I.T.&D.
custom guns.

It won't be original, but it will be damn close.
And it will look great! All with a nice old
classic round.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The caliber is fine. I personally think we have gone 'nuts' over hyper [ultra, super, short] magnum calibers that are delivering way more velocity and energy to the target than we need. I am going smaller in caliber myself. Can we fit a 30 Remington into a Zastava mini Mauser action?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think .25 Remington instead.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
Think .25 Remington instead.

I have one in a Remington Model 14 pump, and a 30 Remington in a 1912 Remington Model 8 autoloader. For small white-tails and black-tails you will not find finer calibers for under 200 yard shots.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pre-64 M70 in .264 w/ 3-9 Leupold for $350. One of the better deals of my life. If your stock has not been cut, bedded, or anything else then it is worth a good deal of money on ebay. Even modified ones bring more than I think they are worth. Same for the barrel-I would pull the barrel, not touch the finish and ebay it. Sell any screws, papers, or anything else that comes with it.

Hell, if the finish is actually "flaking" like you say it is, I am sure some one on ebay will buy the flakes if you can prove it came off of a pre-64 M70.

Take the action and build a nice rifle out of it. You will have some cash to play with if you sell the parts. You can build it cheap or go whole hog-whatever you want.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a rifle like this worth though? The person I would be buying from is a dealer, but also a personal friend. Also it looks like Jim Wisner sells the bottom metal, follower, and spring, so I can get it shooting pretty easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
idaho,to me the way it is described, it is a 600.00 gun at the very most. Parts to put it back to orignal will run 75.00+, so it would make a hell ofa good hunter at that price. Or you can part it out and make a few bucks.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy, you are in the same park that I was thinking. It looks like a pre 64 is in my future Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO< i would just keep it in 300H&H, a great classic cartridge that will and can get the job done. Its,s been well proven in the past,and still will preform. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote