New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go from here
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am somewhat sure the majority of the gunmakers out there have had the same problem.

I have completed a full custom stocked and barreled actioned rifle on an FN action, new bottom metal, checkered bolt, new barrel, etc., allong with most of the bells and whistles that go with it. I took a down payment before starting and completed the work before the deadline.

Here is what I am face with. I have contacted the client and told him the rifle was finished. He said, "well I guess it's time to get some money together".

That was over a month and a half ago and to date have not heard a word. So, my question stands, where do we go from here.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that. Send the client a registered letter stating that he has X amount of time to pick up the rifle or the deposit is forfeit and the rifle will be sold to recoup any losses.
Really not much more can be done. You are fully within your rights to proceed as mentioned. Hopefully you can recoup the entire amount figuring in the deposit. If you could sell it out for the full agreed price you could refund the deposit, but that is not the way to go in my opinion. Hopefully the deposit is a substantial part of the agreed upon cost.
Good Luck
Bob G.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Kobe,

I am only partially joking here, but I'd bet you caught the guy off-guard with your initial phone call. Most likely, he had not counted on the rifle being finished BY the dead-line, much less before it. Shame on him for not properly planning this project. I'd be willing to guess that he thought he had plenty of time to arrange his finances but wasn't prepared to complete the transaction so soon.

I'd forward a letter saying, in essence, that if within another 30 days, he has not paid for the rifle in full, then it becomes yours. (Not a lawyer, but this seems to be a reasonable request on your part.) Outside of that, I'm not sure there's much you'd be able to do.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's too soon for an ultimatum, IMHO. I would call the customer and have a conversation first. Find out what is holding things up and get him to commit to a deadline for payment, say a couple of weeks to 30 days. Maybe a couple of payments.

If he is honorable, he will be truthful about his situation and commit to payment by the agreed upon deadline or deadlines. Let him know, politely, that you need to be paid on time and that his deposit is at risk.

If he doesn't pay up when he agreed he would, then it will be time for the letter confirming that he is in default, perhaps giving him another week or so, and making it clear that he will lose his deposit and right to the rifle if he doesn't pay up by then. As has been noted above, if you want to be a nice guy, you can offer to refund the deposit if you are able to sell the rifle and recoup your costs plus expected profit.

I have found that you will earn a lot of good will, and feel better about yourself, if you treat people with a bit of compassion. On the other hand, there are plenty of stiffs out there, and patience can only be stretched so far.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
My thoughts parallel MR's. Call once more and see what's up and if needed after that send a letter.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me in 31 days, I'm in need of a nice Kobe custom

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Is the deadline coming up, or has it passed?

As has already been said, I suspect you caught him off guard completing it ahead of schedule. I do think a phone call is in order, but personally I'd wait until right before your agreed upon deadline arrives.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice from all, except the guy who had an ulterior motive. I will call and see what happens and will keep you posted.

Jimmy, what about that action of your buddiess that I have?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I will call him tonight, I thought he had made contact with you concerning the build. I have sort of been out of the loop since being flooded out but we just moved into our new home this past weekend and I will be home for a month or so before going back to work.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
about 15 yrs ago, i had a winchester m70 rebarreled and rechambered.. the "gunsmith " and i agreed on terms, a deposit, and monthly payments until it was paid for....i kept my end of the bargain, even tho he was "way behind" (his own terms)...so i held off on payments... he threatened action, and started charging interest on the unpaid debt... i took him to small claims court after the rifle was finished and recovered my interest payments and court costs... he lost a client, and a friend in the end... a phone call is much cheaper... keep in contact, but not daily...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am guessing this project was started when gas was close to a dollar a gallon less than it is now. I person can eat up what they put back for guns real fast just driving to work now.

Now I know if you can pay don't play but there has been lots of budgets wrecked in the last 6 months. I concur in that if you can make contact and a payment arrangement can be made it would be best for all. In fact you may get more business later from this person when things get better again. However if the customer will not stay in contact you have no choice but to try and recoup your costs by selling/keeping the rifle.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for the both of you!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote