New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Super Red Hawk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Red Hawk with a rather long barrel, I want to keep the barrel length but want to lighten the barrel and relocate the front sight closer to the rear.

Questions:

How is the front sight ramp fixed to the barrel?

How deep can I go with fluting the barrel? I intend to cut one or two flutes on either side of the barrel but leave the top and bottom untouched to preserve rigididity in the vertical plane.

I am a qualified, time served, engineer with access to, and know how to use, a fully equiped engineering workshop. So I can do the job properly I just need some information specific to the Red Hawk.

andrew

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
<ssleefl>
posted
Why do you want to locate the front site closer to the rear. The further apart the better. If you don't believe me ther why not put it right up against the rear sight. I know that last statement is a bit extreme, but I'm sure you will "get the picture"

------------------
"A school of Tuna led by a Shark can beat a school of Sharks led by a Tuna"

Most divorces are based on disagreements over small matters, so are most murders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel is 21 inches long!! There is such a thing as having too much. The larger the sight radius the more the apparent movement of the gun, just like more magnification on a 'scope gives the impression of more wobble. This is why short barreled guns appear so easy to hold steady.

I want set my sight radius at 10 inches, the same as my old and much missed M29.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote