posted
Looking for stock dimensions for a stock
that copies an Rigby style rifle
Any information will help
Thanks Sydney

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
One thing you can do is to find a pic of the stock you really like and get it blown up to give the correct L O P and use that as your pattern

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks---Sydney

one of us
posted Hide Post

I like this one.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:

I like this one.

you'd have to put your chin instead of your cheek on that cheekpiece.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many of the original Rigby's were made to suit the customers measurements versus a generic stock?

Just wondering if the Rigby history for each rifle includes the stock measurements, similar to Holland and Holland?

DRSS

Posts: 1973 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:

I like this one.

you'd have to put your chin instead of your cheek on that cheekpiece.
First of all it has no "cheekpiece" and the stock is appropriate for the rifle's sights.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of folks are plumb anal on low comb rifles for scope use..Once you get past that a whole new world opens up for you..

I was blessed with low comb rifles as I lived pre scope days and low combed mod. 70s and Remington 721s and 722s, older 99 Savages. When Bill Weaver and Dick Shaw came up with the 3 and 4X scopes we jumped on the band wagon and everybody scoped their old Win. 70d and Remington 721 and 722s and Savage 99EGs, and guess what, they never knew any better and the game fell to the shots and the groups got smaller!!

Based on that all my custom rifles are about like the Holland and Hollands and Wesley Richards such as posted..I can use the irons and lift my head about 1/8 of an inch and shoot a scope as well as anybody. It sure won't work the other way, you just can't get down on the irons with a high comb without a wack in the cheek. unless you can tolerate a 3" high mounted iron sight and that's butt ugly, not to mention it interferes with low scope mounting..but to each his own, just another way to skin a cat..

IMO, the nay sayers have read to much in the gun rags, and have not made any effort to try the above method of shooting/hunting..You would be surprised how much better a gun can feel, and how those English rifles handle in the field and yes even with a scope and low comb, more like a Boss 20 ga. as opposed to a pine stump. I'm talking from a hunters point of view, and just MY personal preference, but its worth a try if one has an open mind, works for a lot of folks.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That low comb stock was made for iron sights. It makes for a fast handling rifle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is does, but it does not illuminate the use of a scope by a long shot..and the gun pictured is severe, but My old Wesley Richards had the same stock and Griffen and Howe side mounted Leupold Alaskan 7/8" tube scope and it killed a ton of game and no complaints..The human body, contrary to some reports, can adjust to about any rifle given just a little time and practice. What it can't do is crush the face down on a high comb and shoot iron sights, that hurts and pain causes a flinch.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scopes were smaller years ago. Now a days many of the scopes on rifles look more suited to astronomy than hunting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote