Find
Notify
Tools

Dean Zolliner & James Anderson Rifle #2
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
A few months ago I posted some photos of the completed rifle that was built by Dean Zollinger and James Anderson. At the time I mentioned that the “twin” rifle that was being built for my Dad was just about finished. Well, a week ago Dad took delivery of the completed rifle.

To save me some typing I pasted and edited the details of the rifles below:

As I mentioned in previous posts several years ago my Dad and I decided we wanted to build a matching pair of rifles. But at the same time we wanted them to each still be unique. The intent was that after they were built we would hunt with them and enjoy them and then when it came time for Dad to pass on his guns we would pass these rifles on to my boys. That way they would each have something special that was done by Dad and Grandpa together. Thanks to the work of 2 incredibly talented gun builders the rifles are now complete.

I was hesitant about going with a stainless rifle. I was concerned that it would end up looking like a rifle left in the white. But Dad and I wanted the rifles to be significantly different. Even after seeing it in progress I was sort of regretting choosing the stainless. But now that I have the rifle in hand the stainless has really grown on me and I really love how it looks with the stock I have.

James Anderson contoured the barrel to an octagon that is very trim and elegant. He also did his cloverleaf conversion to the tang as well as made a custom checkered bolt release.. He also did the same treatment to Dad’s rifle. Once James finished his work he sent the projects on to Dean Zollinger.

Dean welded on a new bolt handle, made the custom contoured scope bases, finished all the metal to a nice satin bead blasted finish. He also did all the stock work. I asked Dean for a slim and trim stock with a nice open grip.

The blank for Dad’s rifle was a real find. I bought the blank from the widow of an old gun builder. He had passed on 20 years before I bought the blank and she had decided to clean out shop. I almost feel guilty for the bargain I got on the blank once I saw the completed stock!!! It is a beautiful piece of very old Bastogne.

I know the scope is mounted very high – but those are the rings Dad had and it fits him. But I did just mail him a set of low Talley rings so he can lower it down a bit. He is also going to swap the scope to a matte finish eventually.

I know mine and Dad’s photo taking ability is lacking. But you get the idea.

Specs:

Action: Winchester M70 Classic / mine is a M70 Classic Stainless

Caliber: 300 Winchester Magnum

Barrel: Dad’s – Badger CM 1:10 twist 24” / mine - Half Moon stainless 1:10 twist 24”

Bottom Metal: Blackburn

Rings: Talley

Bases: Dean Zollinger custom

Scope: Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40

Stock: Dad’s – Bastogne / mine - English Walnut

Grip cap: Fisher 2 screw

Swivel bases: Duane Wiebe custom

My Rifle:

Dad’s Rifle:

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Great that you and your dad have the same love for nice rifles, (and they damn sure are)!
Wishing you both many years of use.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flies on that job! Excellent lines and workmanship

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lookin' sharp Bill, you both should be grinning from ear to ear, nice pair!

Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a great rifle! I'm jealous.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Just a great rifle! I'm jealous.
Butch

+1

What work did Gunmaker do on Dad's Rifle?

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

James Anderson did the same work on both of our rifles. He did an amazing job milling the octagon barrels in a very pleasing contour. He also did his pre-war M70 clover leaf tang treatment to both rifles. His fine work really added to the rifles.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
Congrats.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1824 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

+ Thread & chamber Half Moon SS barrel & weld up and checker bolt stops.

Great looking rifles M1 Big Grin

Have you had a chance to work up a load for your SS rifle?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote