posted
Best stock for Win M70 Classic in .375H&H,
McMillan HTG or HS Precision Varmint?

Regards,
Stian
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are both exellent, it would depend on what style you wanted and how long you wanted to wait. I've ordered both; the H-S came in 3 1/2 wks, it took McMillan 22 weeks.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After owning stocks by both manufacturers I prefer mcmillans.They seem to fit me better and I prefer pillar bedding to the aluminum bedding blocks.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the RimRock stock by Jim Borden. I think they are the classiest stock you can put on a Model 70 and delivery time is quick with a variety of colors. I don't recall the addres of the website but if you go to www.benchrest.com and look under "Stocks" on the left it will take you to his site. Jim makes some beautiful custom rifles and has a great reputation. As I recall, prices are competitive.

In answer to your question I really like McMillan stocks and have never handled a H-S stocked rifle that "felt" good to me....don't care for the texture of the stocks.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own more than one stock from each of these companies and like all their products that I own just fine. However, I have to admit to liking the H-S Precision stocks the best.

I put one on my Remington 700 Classic that is chambered for 300 Weatherby last month and really like the fit, the feel, etc. And it certainly caused the rifle to shoot better groups than it ever did with its original wood stock. And as mentioned by others, the time it takes to get a stock from H-S will likely be shorter than when dealing with McMillan.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SFN:
[QB]Best stock for Win M70 Classic in .375H&H,
McMillan HTG or HS Precision Varmint?

I own both and one of the problems with the McMillan is that you have to install pillars and bed the stock which adds to the cost. I'm having the same problems with a win fwt and have decided on the H&S stock. Well good luck! Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a McMillan stock but I do own four H-S stocks and I've been very happy with them. Just like a few other posts have said, you'll get delivery on a H-S a whole lot sooner than you will a McMillan.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Have been very satisfied with both McMillan and HSPrecision stocks. Lean more toward HS Precision because of delivery time and prefer bedding block over pillar bedding. Still use Acraglass on the tacical rifles for a more stable platform.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody have experience with the McMillan Winchester Featherweight stock? I'm thinking of it for a 7mm-08, any info is appreciated.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitehurst, if you mean the WinLite stock McMillan made for Winchester, I have a couple of them. Both pretty good stocks, the only problem at all is the paint chips eventually. Repainting is easy though, so overall I'd say they're a good buy. Mine are in 300 Win Mag and 270 (which is being rebarreled). FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, dan, that's the very stock I was talking about. I'm sure I'll chip the paint, but I won't hold that against McMillan. I've scraped and chipped quite a bit of paint off my MPI stock, and that's the epoxy paint.

If the stock is comfortable with your .300WM it should be excellent with a 7mm-08.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just put an HS Precision on my wife's Remington 700 Classic. It looks and feels excellent.

Delivery time was probably unbeatable... I visited the importer (in Adelaide, South Australia) on Monday. Gunsmith received the stock on Wednesday.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're very comfortable. I was quite surprised, I expected the 300 to have a lot more bite in that lightweight stock, but it seems to absorb and spread the recoil enough to make it not a problem. I find the recoil of a 270 with the standard Winchester wood monte carlo stock way more uncomfortable, because of the stock design. Now I'm not saying that the HS stocks are worse or anything like that, I have them on four rifles, and they fit well too, but they're quite a bit heavier, so I guess it depends on what you want. Also, just because the HS stocks have that aluminum block in them doesn't mean they won't need bedding, most of them will to fit properly. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote