New
Find
Notify
Tools

Badger Barrels.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What can you tell me about Badger Barrels out of Wisconsin?

They make cut rifle barrels and I would like to know how they compare to other top barrel makers? Quality, longevity etc...

Looks like a high quality barrel but, I know nothing about them.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
badger makes top grade barrels, but their calibers are limited. If you want a black powder 45 for instance they'll have it fairly quick, but last barrel i ordered from them was a 10" .22 barrel, that never came, cause they didn't want to make them anymore (told me that 6 months latter). they make the barrels for some military applications, and at least used to make them for browning on their black powder hi walls. If you are going to order one from them find out first if they'll make it or not and if so how long it'll take. they do use cut rifling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Somewhat similar experience here. 1st order in early 2005 for a 7mm half round / half octagon barrel no problem.

2nd order July 2005 for a .30 cal. half round / half octagon barrel I had to cancel in August 2006 after numerous times being told it was on its way.

Ernie and Gerri are very nice people to talk to and their prices are good, especially for the octagon and half octagon profiles, but I just didn't want to wait any longer.

PM sent.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they probably make good barrels. The only thing I talked to Ernie 3 times about 2 years ago; I'm still waiting on the order blank.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
They were making all the Winchester Custom Shop barrels when I visited in 2005 - they were cutting octagon barrels for the 94's, and making the "Sharpshooter" barrels for the Model 70's.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My C. Sharps Arms 1885 has one in 38-55 and it's slick as a baby's bottom.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning used to use them (they still might-not sure) on their 1885 BPRC model. They are excellent barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
same story. Told me they would make me a barrel. 6 months later said they never recieved my order. When pressed admited they didnt want to make it. They won't get any of my money.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Earnie learn his craft right next door over there at Krieger?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
From what I hear, they are excellent barrels.
I have never personally ordered one because they are apparently not always very reliable about delivery times. A close friend won a Badger barrel as a prize at a national shooting competition. He was tickled pink by his good fortune and sent in his order to them. Two years later, according to him, he had still heard nothing positive and certainly had no barrel. I can't attest to whether he ever got his barrel or not, but that sort of thing makes me nervous enough to look elsewhere.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are the 1st choice for barrels in BPCR competition and 25mm Cannons but as the others have stated if you want to get one in another caliber your wait time might be excessive.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting from 1990 ! Idiot in office must have been born without a BRAIN !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Badger barrela are not just good barrels, they are superb barrels. Badger barrels are the first choice of the U.S. black powder shooting team that shoots all over the world.

Having written that, I am reminded that other manufacturer's barrels win their share of the matches, too. Pedersoli barrels are extremely good, too, and I am sure that if you would have Krieger make you a BP barrel, it would be outstanding.

All this really means is that there is a lot more to good long range BP shooting than just the barrel.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by concho:
Idiot in office must have been born without a BRAIN !

That would either be Ernie or his wife Gerri, and I don't think you'd have that kind of mouth face to face.

They didn't know me from Adam - and spent 2+ hours with me on day just visiting, showing their double rifles and talking about the business when Ernie got the Big Game Hunt Shoot started up in Lodi, WI. They had piles of the Winchester custom shop barrels, Browning BPCR barrels, and their USMC/AMU chrome-moly AR-15 match barrels awaiting shipment. Got a great tour of the shop and a lesson in barrel lapping as well.

I was under the impression that the barrels were prepay now - look at the overruns that Shilen, etc. has to sell at a discount.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote