Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
First forgive my lack of complete information and knowledge of Mausers. In search of a mauser action I came across a rifle that is highly polished and looks very clean with some exceptions. The action is marked Oberndorf and Mauserwerkes. The exceptions are the bases. The rear base is a weaver ground in half to fit with the stripper clip hump and a hole in the side which appears to be from a side mount rear site. I can't recall the year of manufacture and I'm not real sure where to look. I just recall posts in the past speaking of the Oberndorf action as a decent one which to build on. I think I can get it for $250. Aside from the hole in the side which I assume can be fixed, ditto for the bases, it looks very clean with minimal if any blueing wear. Looks like a bubba job then stuck in the closet. Is this rifle a deal at this price? Thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Dempsey could you post a few close-ups of the action?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'm haven't bought it yet. I just took another look. SOmeone made it into a 300 h&h and metal was removed
in the front to accomadate the length. This makes me a little nervous and I wasn't looking for a magnum
caliber anyway. I think maybe this ones been bubbaized too much to be usefull or safe?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

I certainly would be reluctant to make that purchase given the information that you just gave. I recently just made the error on a couple of Springfields. Although I will find some cruffler hopefully to put them into a good home. Given another opportunity it would be more inclined to pass even though the action does seem desirable at face value.

Given some of the Belk threads that I've searched all lead me to the conclusion that removing metal from the front to accomodate a longer cartridge in most cases is never a good thing.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Mike

I think you're right. And I thought I was on to something good It wasn't all to long ago I passed on a
G 33/40 simply due to ignorance in regards to Mausers. It was gone after I researched it. One day I'll
stumble into a nice find, or so I keep telling myself. My next step is to educate myself more on what is
desireable so I can make on site decisions and not miss out.