Find
Notify
Tools

pre 64 Model 70 in 300 WBY
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Can a pre 64 Model 70 in 300 H&H be safely rechambered in 300 WBY?

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Can a pre 64 Model 70 in 300 H&H be safely rechambered in 300 WBY?

Yes...there are a lot of them floating around.....BUT to do it correctly the barrel has to be set back as the H/H shell is longer than the Weatherby case.....most people don't and it is more often seen that way.....but done right it makes for a good chamber and the freebore can be adjusted for your bullet and load-magazine length......I have a H/H and seen many rechambered.....I'd keep the H/H unless the gun is just a total wreck and you are going to completely redo it...the H/H can be loaded in good brass to nearly do the Weatherby a match...HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good response before mine, good information.

My dad has an old pre-64 model 70 Winchester that was a 300 H&H. He never even fired it that way, just took it and had it rechambered to 300 Weatherby. That darned old rifle has killed more game than you would believe. It has had lot of ammo down the tube and still shoots pretty darned good.

I doubt that the gunsmith set the barrel back, but it seems to be a non issue. Just be sure that the gusmith DOES free bore the barrel though, or you will not be able to shoot factory 300 Weatherby ammo in it. With no free bore the Weatherby ammo is too hot.

Having seen my dad's rifle a fellow in town had his 300 H&H reamed out but the gunsmith did not free bore it. Factory 300 Weatherby ammo would tie that gun up big time. The guy got frustrated and bought a .338 Win Mag. Then he decided it kicked too much. I bet he has not shot either one of those rifles in close to 40 years.

Gunsmiths around here did a pretty good business rechambering rifles back in the 1960's. Most good ones these days will not do it much.

Anyway, I have to agree that just leaving the old model 70 chambered to 300H&H has some appeal. I had one a long time ago and wish to heck I had kept it. When handloaded it is just about a wash with a 300 Winchester Mag and not far behind the 300 Weatherby. The one I owned would shoot 180 grain bullets well over 3000 fps with any number of powders.

A couple of good articles about the old 300 H&H have surfaced lately. Seems Craig Boddington really likes the old caliber.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote