New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Mag to 7mmWSM ???
 Login/Join

<RVB>
posted
I recently bought a Colt "Ultra Light Rifle" in 7mm Mag and want to rechamber it to 7mmWSM. I will need to set the barrel back, but I was wondering if any of you folks had done this change and how did it work out?

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it and don't understand why anyone would. You don't gain any velocity with the short mag and still have the long action, negating the very minor advantage offered by one. Additionally if you shoot factory ammo the 7MM Remington probably has 10 times the number of factory loads.

I don't mean to be negative and wish you good luck if you do try it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Why do we do any of this stuff we do. We could all live life very comfortably with a 30-06 and a 223. I have a closet full of guns and I need a 7mm WSM like I need a hole in the head! But what the heck........yet another toy to keep me out of trouble.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
I have a model 700 in 300 WSM. Getting it to function properly was a pain in the butt. You have to use a wider after market mag box or make a new one if you even want to think about it working.
With that said and your gun no longer being produced it may not be a good idea.
On the other hand, model 700 stuff may work.
If 700 stuff will work thin I would go for 7mm STW or 7mm UM.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love it when the advertising types hit the nail on the head.....just when I thought I'd heard it all another voice pops up. [Roll Eyes]

I guess that old saw is correct...no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Bill, not sure I understand your comment....???

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll suggest you just rebarrel... ir get a takeoff in 7mag and redo it. Reason being, when you get tired of hunting 7WSM brass (which AINT 300 wsm brass, it's a tad longer at the shoulder)you and your gunsmith can spend 20 mins "restoring" it to 7rem mag.

but, since we are on the subject... why not a 338x7wsm wildcat... haev something cool to talk about, and then be able to restore back, when you are tired of it?

this from the guy that had one of the first "legit" 257x300 wsm, built on the day winchester released the final spec.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Actually RVB, I do feel your pain on the multiple cartidges. My wonderfull spouse agreed to having a new custom rifle made in 275 Rigby, synthetic stock and all for a Christmas present. I spent a bit of time explaining that when hunting in bad weather it wouldn't be as susceptable to damage which she finally agreed to.

She lifted one eyebrow when I brought home a BLR in 300 WinMag from the show last month.

Friday she lifted both eyebrows when I brought in the Dumoulin in 338 WinMag.

For some reason she just doesn't understand why the two BAR's (270 & 30'06), the Ruger RSI in 308, the drilling in 16x16x9.3x72, the three Martini actions in 300 Sherwood and a pair in 360 no.5 weren't enough.

Who could ever figure these women out?

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a re-barrel, shorten the action and box, mess with the feed rails and rebed the whole thing, mostly the barrel channel....I believe you will run out of barrel at the outside chamber diameter depending on the taper, but would have to check the specs.

All said and done, it is usually wise from the dollar standpoint to sell or trade in your present gun for a 7 WSM....These simple projects have a way of snowballing out of sight.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand your desire just to "do it" because it keeps you busy.But..why would you go through all that trouble just to lose a bit of velocity? Beats me.Just load it light and you'll have a 7 WSM. I'll keep my 7 Rem Mag, thanks.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
This is like buying a blue car and then painting it green!

More than a few gunsmiths have said they don't think the WSM's feed that well. Translated that means that they have not figured it out yet.

Just sell that rifle or put it aside and buy a WSM. Having owned two 7MM Rem Mags and now a 7MM WSM I can't tell much difference. The brass will last longer on a rimless case. Thats about all.