Find
Notify
Tools

Help...need an odd set screw for rear sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted

This is a 1957 Win M70 Safari Grade .458 WM. It has thumb screw elevation adjustment with a locking set screw in the side.

I had to adjust the elevation and I don't think that screw had been removed in 50 years. When I tried I boogered the slot a bit. Applied heat and got it out. It was set with locktight it looked like when I got it out. I can put it back...but...it will be REAl hard to get out next time. I would like to replace.

It is so tiny...I can't tell what size or thread. I believe it is a 4. It mics 0.115 outside of theads and is 0.095 long.

This rifle is going ele hunting in May. Any ideas on where to get a replacement??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get hold of Jim Wisner, he posts here occasionally. He makes a replacement rear sight like that and would probably know the screw size.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir! You would not happen to know his handle on AR would you?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes if I recall it is either a # 4x40 or a # 4x48 screw.

Tiny little flat bottom set screw. That is why on my rear sights I use the more common # 6x48 screw.

Sorry do not know of a source, you may have to take a longer screw in the correct pitch and cut it off to make one.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:

Tiny little flat bottom set screw. That is why on my rear sights I use the more common # 6x48 screw.

Sorry do not know of a source, you may have to take a longer screw in the correct pitch and cut it off to make one.

J Wisner

Thanks Jim!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Thank you sir! You would not happen to know his handle on AR would you?

Jim's website:

http://wisnersinc.com/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is 4-40, you can get them from Fastenal or have your local hardware store order some in; you may have to buy 12. I used to buy 4-40 x 1/16". They weren't screw slot, they were Allen socket type. I don't know if I have any. Most hardware stores do stock/sell 4-40 screws and nuts that you could buy and try or take your screw in and try a 4-40 nut on it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really can't figure it out, email me. You can send it out to me and I'll find you a replacement.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I drive by Fastenal every morning. Will stop in and buy a 4-40 and see if it fits the hole and threads.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
If you really can't figure it out, email me. You can send it out to me and I'll find you a replacement.

Nathaniel,
I do need to get a proper one fitted and blued regardless...will e-mail you.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to restore that one. I've fixed worse. Move the buggered metal back into the screw slot with a punch. Remove the screw and chuck lightly in an electric drill. Trigger the drill on low speed and re-contour the screw head with a file. Deepen the slot with a hacksaw blade if you have to. Polish on fine emery paper. Heat to cherry red with a torch and quench in motor oil to give it a deep blue/black.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
You should be able to restore that one. I've fixed worse. Move the buggered metal back into the screw slot with a punch. Remove the screw and chuck lightly in an electric drill. Trigger the drill on low speed and re-contour the screw head with a file. Deepen the slot with a hacksaw blade if you have to. Polish on fine emery paper. Heat to cherry red with a torch and quench in motor oil to give it a deep blue/black.

Cutting the slot deeper is my worry. It is so fine...I am not sure what to cut slot with...maybe a cutting wheel on Dremel?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cutting the slot deeper is my worry. It is so fine...I am not sure what to cut slot with...maybe a cutting wheel on Dremel?

Get a set of feeler gauges and determine slot width. I have found the butt end of a hack saw blade where the teeth aren't set gives a nice thin raking cut. If it is real thin there are micro hack saw blades that cut even thinner. I wouldn't go near it with a Dremel wheel!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

Get a set of feeler gauges and determine slot width. I have found the butt end of a hack saw blade where the teeth aren't set gives a nice thin raking cut. If it is real thin there are micro hack saw blades that cut even thinner. I wouldn't go near it with a Dremel wheel!

My Dremel tool has put my gunsmith's kids through private colleges.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Dan Wesson revolver front sight set screw is 4-40 size by 5/16" long. Takes a 0.050" hex allen wrench rather than a flat blade screw driver.

Maybe an option. You can get them from EWK arms, Dan Wesson (CZ) and they are always on Ebay.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Dremel tool has put my gunsmith's kids through private colleges.

jumping

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
A Dan Wesson revolver front sight set screw is 4-40 size by 5/16" long. Takes a 0.050" hex allen wrench rather than a flat blade screw driver.

Maybe an option. You can get them from EWK arms, Dan Wesson (CZ) and they are always on Ebay.

Jeremy

Thanks man!!! Good tip!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a Quick Google search for 4-40 Slotted Head Set Screw and many came up. Here is a link to one place to buy them online.

http://www.screwsandbolts.com/...543.htm?1=1&CartID=0

It looks like you can get 20 for around $3

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:

J Wisner

Well...I believe it is a #4 X 48. I got a #4 X 40 set screw at Fastenal. It starts...but will not easily screw past 1 turn while the original now cleaned just runs right in.

Anybody know where to buy a #4 X 48???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just found some on e-bay.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a way id screws: (screw size number X .013 Plus .060) 4x13=52+.060 is .112 The .060 is a standard for all numbered screws.

There is screw slot files which I have and die sets to make these small screw. I CASE hardened the heads after the slot is filed in. If you have dies that have a screw adjustment it can be made with a tighter fit.

Some local shop should be able to make this screw at a reasonable cost.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote