New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gunsmithing School
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm no expert on gunsmithing but was wondering if anyone here might know what the top gunsmithing school might be? I have a nephew who is interested. He's only in high school but is very interested, he wants to learn it all but is mainly interested in auto rifles, long range rifles, and double rifles. Anyway I told him I would ask around for him. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Ferlach Gunsmithing school in Austria
Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, CO
Trinidad State College in Trinidad, CO
Pennsylvania Gunsmithing School in Pittsburgh, PA

All schools have a good program, but you are only going to get out of it what you put in. Ferlach would be a wet dream for me...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Better option would be to go to a local community college that is part of the State Apprenticeship standards. Tell him to become a Toolmaker. Then he'll have more then enough skill to deal with firearms and have a good paycheck to boot. Then he can go to a Gunsmith school to get the firearms stuff down.

And at that point I'd recommend Trinidad

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been to the Colorado School of Trades, I have this to say about that - Thoroughly research before you commit. I don't know that other programs would be better, but I can't see that CST is THE best.

Lots of integrity issues with the school and administration, good 'ole boy system keeps worthless 'instructors' on the payroll, many things that you would think should be covered in such a school (blueprinting an action for instance) aren't taught there.

They allow cadre to sell things (shitty stock wood, tools, etc) to students inside the school, there is only one instructor there that isn't a graduate of their program and of the rest, 90% or more are hired immediately upon graduation. That only produces educational incest.

The only way most of these guys know how to do things is the way they were taught (which is not always the best or most efficient method). There's no way someone is qualified to instruct anything without at least some real world experience.

There is also NO standard. They routinely graduate and award the AAS to people that don't even meet the minimum course requirements as laid out in the syllabus.

For what it's worth, Jerry Fisher was thru recently - he's a graduate of their program - and ripped them more than one new asshole.

The only thing they have going for them, in my opinion, is that they are a true trade school and you don't have to take any regular college classes pursuant to getting the AAS.

"The heroes are dead but not all the dead are heroes."

Posts: 89 | Location: MT | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thats one more reason to apprentice in a toolmaker trade. At least you will have to intern at a real shop doing real world work for five years plus night school to get the Journeyman's card.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Liege in Belgium also has a top gunsmithing school that caters to the city's renowned gunmaking industry.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 1960s graduate of TSJC, FWIW. I agree with much of what bigfoot and kc have said above, with some additional opinions.

I recommend attending a junior college and striving for the AAS degree, which WILL require him to take regular college courses. It's common for some students to skip the regular college courses and get only the Certificate of Course Completion, but an Associate's degree is IMO more of a distinct asset when seeking a job.

As said above, the student gets out of it what he's prepared to put into it. However a LOT will depend upon just who is instructing and just how they do it. After all, the student can't learn if the instructor doesn't know how!

And believe me, some of them don't!

I've seen some mighty pitiful instructors (as well as some geniuses) at several schools, the best bet might be to contact some recent grads and query them for details.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The advice about being a toolmaker/machinist first is very valid. Much more opportunity and you will still have most of the skills needed to be a qualified gunsmith. I taught machining in a college for a very short time until I got my industrial tech degree and went to work as an engineer. I have always loved machining and guns. I learned much of my gunsmithing from a gunsmith who wanted me to teach him machining. We made the trade. I was suprised how little machining was taught in the gunsmith school (CST). Now I'm retired and can devote my time to gunsmithing. The top gunsmiths that have spent many, many years building a reputation make a good living, most others don't. Just remember software engineers didn't make much when Bill Gates started, either. Just my two cents..........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I attended CST in 1987, all of the instructors I had have long since retired. At that time the program was very much geared toward the design and function of a firearm (repair work). The stock building program had 2 good instructors and the machine shop taught the basic fundamentals of how to operate a lathe and mill. I had friends who attended in Prescott Arizona, they were taught a high level of machine shop skills with very little design and function. One other friend attended Pine City Tecnical in MN and their program was really strong is making wood stocks. You need to look at the school from the standpoint of who the instuctors are and what is their field of expertise, If the head instuctor is a renowned pistol smith, you can bet the program is very strong in that area etc. If you choose to attened a technical school for the "machine" aspect make sure they teach the process of actualy being a machinest and not just an operator of cnc equipment. A good training in machine operations with an apprentice position in a company that does the work you are interested in could be the ideal.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a community college here in CA(Lassen CC?) that has a unique gunsmithing program.

Each course is a week long intensive study in one area of gunsmithing and is taught by an instructor who is working full time in the trade.

In other words, most of the instructors put their gunsmithing business on hold and come in to teach for a week.

In the past there have been some top level gunsmiths who have worked as instructors.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started down the gunsmith path two years ago by attending the local tech school taking machining classes. There are no local gunsmith courses, and I talked to a few smiths that suggested taking machining. I just finished my tech school in June of this year. I discussed my goals with the instructor beforehand and as much as he could, he tailored my training to my interests. He suggested, and I agreed to sign up for the CNC program as it involved the most training for the diploma, vs. the Advanced General machinist diploma. I started on a mill, and then a lathe, and the CNC G-code manual and finally CADCAM programming, with blueprint reading, machine too math, and heat treating thrown in. There are aspects of gunsmithing that I have to learn still, but instead of trying to figure out how to run a lathe, I only have to figure out the set up on the lathe to do the barrel work I want to do.

If your nephew is interested, IMO, he should decide what he wants to focus on. Some gunsmiths are general repair guys, some build stocks, or custom rifles, or shotgun work, or pistol work. I know of no gunsmith that does it all and is the best at all of it, so it comes to specialization to some degree.

After I started working metal, I found I liked making anything, and while guns are my passion, I'd be o.k. with making tools, motorcycle parts, etc.

I am glad I learned the CNC programming as the capabilities are still being transferred to the firearms industry on the gunsmith level.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I should have also mentioned that I offer training in all aspects of machine work that my manual shop covers. I give a safety course, then basic operation, and a project. It's expensive but it's a custom deal. I can taylor the training how ever you like. Basic materials included. But a project gun is at your own cost.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The advice about being a toolmaker/machinist first is very valid

This is a true statement. Your best rifle builders are the the ones who are the best machinist.Duane is also correct about CST.If you want to be a parts changer its ok.But if you are a very good machinist you can do it all.Put your effort in machinist training.
Regards

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote