Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 stock needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I posted this in the classifieds but figured some of you gunsmith's here might be able to help out.

One of my soldier here at Ft Bliss needs a new stock for a rifle he just bought. He purchased a Herter's 300 Win Mag. The metal is perfect but during shipping the stock broke from top to bottom on the right side of the mag well. There was a small knot right at the break so I am sure this was the culprit.

So he is looking for a new stock so he can get shooting the thing. I am hoping someone here has a decent stock that they took off a 98 in the past that they are willing to part with fairly cheap. He is a young married private so cheap is the operative word here. But still decent. I am willing to re-finish and glass bed it for so if it needs a little love thats OK.

Please let me know if you have something that will work.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to sound like an advertisement for Numrich Arms...but this company has a huge inventory of both new and used rifle stocks and their prices ain't all that bad if you just want a replacement and aren't looking for some fancy exotic wood.

They list a Mauser 98 sporter stock: hardwood, checkered, buttplate et al... for $49.95 (even a PFC can afford that). Item number is #811100

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker,
I just got off the phone with Howard, an AR regular. I have a Reinhardt Fajen take off of his in my shop and he is donating it and I will pay the shipping for the young man. Just email me the shipping address. It is nothing special but it is virtually unused.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Chic, that is very nice of you and Howard both.

Kudos to you!

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Chic,

That is darned nice of you and Howard. Please convey my thanks. My soldier had been wanting a good hunting rifle for over a year and had been saving. I found a Herters 98 in 300 Win Mag from JG Sales for $169 because it was missing the ejector box. I had an old Turk action that I salvaged parts off of and cleaned and polished them up. I am throwing a Tasco World Class 3x9 that came on a trade rifle on it for him. It should make him a great rig.

He would kill me if he knew I was trying to scrounge him a stock but he is a great soldier and any money he can save he can put towards his family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic and Howard,
Good job guys, I've got one that I was gonna offer up, but you beat me to it. As "A Team Hannibal" would say, I love it when a plan comes together!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I loved the A Team when I was a kid. I still get a kick out of the re-runs on cable, much to my wifes annoyance.

Thanks again for all your guys help.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
There are deer at Fort Bliss What do you do in the Army are you Patriot guy?

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker
You have an E-mail from me
I have a stock I will give the young solder

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There are deer at Fort Bliss What do you do in the Army are you Patriot guy?

Actually we do have mulies. And there are 10 tags available for soldiers to hunt the Hueco Mountain area of post for 2 days in DEC. Plus we do have Oryx hunts here on base for soldiers (30 tags).

I am the Battallion Master Gunner for a Patriot BN. I oversee all marksmanship and weapons training. Started out as a tanker and now assigned to a Duck Hunter unit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the tankers I knew in the Army would be going crazy. A TC wants nothing more than to unleash that 120 smooth bore. Thanks for taking care of your men. Thats what being a real NCO is all about. From a filthy stinking cruchy thats saying alot.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All the tankers I knew in the Army would be going crazy. A TC wants nothing more than to unleash that 120 smooth bore. Thanks for taking care of your men. Thats what being a real NCO is all about. From a filthy stinking cruchy thats saying alot.

No kidding about missing the main gun trigger pulling. A tanker without his track is a terrible thing. And I appreciate the compliment, even if it is from a crunchie.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You loved A-Team when you were a kid???? Damn...now I know I hate you. I used to work on that show and I certainly wasn't a kid back then!

Rick

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
It was 5th and 6th grade if that helps with you feeling so old. By the way Murdock was my favorite on the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it Rick, you just had to bring up the "O" word didn't you?

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Don't worry I'm in a Poge ass unit here at Huachuca I'm in Signal And I'm a 63B30 but the Couse Deer hunting is excellent .

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Don't worry I'm in a Poge ass unit here at Huachuca I'm in Signal And I'm a 63B30 but the Couse Deer hunting is excellent .

I am PCS to Huachuca NOV 1st for UAV school. I need to get the info from you on hunting there

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote from M1Tanker:

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne."

Actually, I always was told that courage is when you are the only one that knows you shit in your pants!

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker: Hey i just had to chime in when i saw you were posted at FT. Bliss. I was there for boot camp and AIT in 81'. Then did two years in Germany and then back to Bliss. I was in a Hawk missile unit D 1/7. I'm pretty sure that unit do's not exist anymore. I used to hunt off post but mostly coyotes and such. Only saw muleys once. Did you say there were oryx there? I'd love to hunt one of those. By the way, How is the military these days, I often wish i had stayed in but the grass seemed greener on the other side so i got out honorably. Good luck in your career! Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote