New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need an action !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there have a short action bolt action they would sell ? Should be in decent working order for a rebarrel job and of course reasonable, would prefer a Ruger or Remington. Thanks, .358

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never dealt with these people but you could give 'em a try for a Rem. action.www.mikesshooting.com You could also try the web gun auction sites.Hope this helps.Regards

Posts: 58 | Location: Charlotte,NC,USA | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you might want a mexican mauser, 1910 or 1936, only. The 36 is the more desirable. It's a short action 98, but a small ring barrel. Does 358 nice, 708 nice, 257 nice. I've got a ROUGH one in 257.
jeffe

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
truthfully your best bet is Walmart.
Pick up an 700 ADL sythetic for around $345.00 and sell the barrel and stock on ebay.

That is cheaper than dealer cost for an action or whole rifle.

Celt

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I'd go with Celt on this one. Try your local yard sales for an action. Hell, you might find something that you did'nt even know that you need.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Look for a Walmart 700 ADL sale! Gut and run.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most Walmarts up here won't sell guns. Too much paperwork, I guess. The Mexican Mauser idea is nice though. I have a couple of them, one in 257 AI and one in 7 X 57 AI. they make a great little rifle. An ADL for $345 is pretty cheap though. Do the new ones have those bolt locks on them? Hmmm, the wheels start to turn. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffesso and Don, I'm trying to do the same thing with a Mexican Mauser action for a 7 X 57. If this works I'll try a 257 Roberts. How do I tell if my actions are 1910 or 1936? My actions measure 1.292" diameter of the forward ring and 7.625" between centers of the trigger guard screws. Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
The cocking piece on a 1910 looks like a regular mauser, while the 36 has a knurled knob like the springfield.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Customstox, That's simple enough. Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post

I have a Remington M40X barreled action from a cross the course rifle in my pile of potential project parts.

If you are interested, please email me.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Orphanedcowboy>
posted
Email Mims Reed at: [EMAIL]hunters-hq@cowtown.net [/EMAIL] He has a Model 70 short action that he may just let go of.

[ 08-01-2002, 05:47: Message edited by: Orphanedcowboy ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bob,
there's actually a little difference. The ACTION is a 36 if made 36 or after, but they put 1910 and turk mauser bolts in them, i've seen both. If the gun is BUILT with it, that's fine, otherwise, the headspace will be off.
I've paid more for a 36 bolt than I have for a complete 1910 action... but (patting 1936 action and bolt on my desk) a 376 steyr will be barking the in the next couple weeks.
jeffe

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Model 48/48A or Model 24(24/47) Yugo Mauser? These are short actions, have controlled round feeding, come relatively cheap and are in great shape. Additionally, they have a more advanced breaching system which more completely encloses the cartridge head.

The downside vs the Remington is they require about $150 worth of gunsmithing for the action and an additional charge for barrelling due to recessing the barrel for the extractor. If you are doing much of the work yourself, the Mauser would be a good way to go.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffesso, This is a coincidence. I'm going to try one of these in 7 X 57 but I have two 36 actions. I went through "Cartridges of the World, 9th" yesterday during my lunch break trying to decide what to do with the other action and came up with the 376 also. Same length as a 7 X 57 and .492 head diameter. Let me know how your's comes out. Thanks for the help identifying mine.