New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 scope base
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I definitely need help as my search hasn't been helpful. I am looking for a picatinny base for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 long-action, not the magnum action. The one-piece Redfield base mounts the scope too far forward, and the extension rings only bring it back 1/2". The picatinny will let me move the scope further back without cutting the stock.

Does anyone know who makes this base or where I could find one?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the US Optics base at www.opticsplanet.net.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You think you could mount something a little better looking then a Picatinny on a Pre 64.

I realize there is a practical reason here but there are better options. Talley being one and Williams being another

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC there is no length distinction in the pre 64s regarding action length, just magazine length and ejector relation, other considerations regarding feeding of magnum rounds.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, xausa, but the only base I could find is a 20 MOA. Someone probably makes a 0 MOA picatinny base for the pre-64, just have to find it.

I looked at many different bases and mounts for the pre-64, and none of them will move the front ring far enough rearward to prevent the stock being shortened except the picatinny.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoghunting:
Someone probably makes a 0 MOA picatinny base for the pre-64, just have to find it.

It's called a WEAVER base and should only be used on a JC Higgens or the like.

Leupold, Redfield, Talley or our newest edition Williams Machine

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the base at Near Manufacturing.

The rifle is wearing a Redfield base and rings right now, and the scope is too far forward. Leupold will keep the scope in the same position, and Talley will only move the scope rearward less than 1/2" from where it is now.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
go old.

Posts: 6429 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote