New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Burgess & D'Arcy Echols P17
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since many of us really enjoyed the Tom Burgess & Jerry Fisher P17 I thought you might like to see a Tom & D'Arcy collaboration.

This rifle is currently for sale on Hallowells.

http://www.hallowellco.com/Echols%20Burgess%20416.htm

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one Sweeeeeet Rifle. I don't really know if I would want it though,the responsibilty would be unbearable. I would not want to be the one to put the first ding on any surface. Man o' man though...it sure show how a man can put steel and wood to a noble purpose. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Beautiful execution! ...Maybe Thom will tell us how those square bridges were done [Smile]

Jeff Pfeifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... ain't no words ...

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd love to put some honest wear on that rifle... preferably in Tanzania on a month-long outing [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly right Brad. It would be criminal not to hunt with that rifle. Fantastic.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Very nice.

Does it come with a detachable, aluminum magazine?

Just kidding... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW, I think I am in love.

Pfeifer, I was thinking the exact same thing...How did he do those square bridges. I can't see a dovetail or anything.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great rifle.

The only thing I noticed was that it has no iron sights. I have heard that D'Arcy will now tell people that they can either have irons or a scope, but noth both. I don't know if that is fact or fiction, but regardless, I like seeing iron sights on a DG rifle (even if they never get used).

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
That looks so good it hurts!

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion 1 [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Very very nice. I will have trouble again, droll rag, out [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I have to agree with Orion 1, there are some features missing on this one [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . How about synthetic stock. Sorry, just kidding [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is the "British is best" crowd? [Big Grin]

Great work by great artists! The owner must be one lucky man! [Smile]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm of the Best British Crowd, but I don't know what that has to do with anything..I have seen some English rifles as nice as this one and again I dont see what that has to do with anything...

Lets judge this peice by its own merits and not compare as that is an endevor in uselessness.,,,

I love the work of Tom Burgess and D'Arcy, always have and this gun is no exception, it is the excellence of the gunmakers art and perfect execution IMO....A great work of functional art...My only change would have been to make it a 500 Jefferys or 505 Gibbs on that wonderfull big action....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I'm assuming it has a front sight and probably a pop up peep or something on that order.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3UE/2- 17R. No Iron sights on this one, originally part of a pair, The .416 Rigby does have Irons, which I believe in. This one was to be a .375 H &H. It got changed to a .340 WBY before I had the Mag box made. Owner already had 2 .375's and inheirited a 3d, Didn't have a 340, so why not? and scope only. I know the Rigby went to Africa (D'Arcy stocked it,too.) After making the box regular 3.625 length so he could hang the bullets out further than the long established not over 3 9/16" long .340's, I had to make still another because Wby really HAD changed the specs. to need a 3.725 inside length box. I didn't get invited into what ever led to it's being made into a .416 Rem. You who have read my posts here simply won't want to believe it true, but I tend to get terse and sharp tongued even.......when requests that don't compute get made. Speculation,
and right to .45nut's comment earlier about the responsibility of having just one of these. A Rem
.416 could use the 340 box ,just fine, you could make a longer OAL load and it might sell better.
Having both a Rem and Rigby to shoot one after the other settles things rather quickly.
There are 3 main components to recoil. Initial thrust, acceleration recoil, and rocket thrust when the propellant gases reach the air at the muzzle. You feel all three at once as a simple reaction. To this you can add counter rotation, the reaction counter the rifling twist, and in a right hand twist, 1:14 in the Rem and a
faster burning powder to move a 400 gr. projectile to match the lazy old Rigby and the 1:16 twist I use for it makes the Rem. uncomfortable by comparison. Expln. Counter rotation- Rifle wants to spin in opposite direction to the rotation of the bullet. Most noticible when heavy bullets and fast powders are employed. Felt recoil along side face, sometimes bruises to match. Not really pronounced between the 2 rifles but If you have them to shoot a lot,you would notice the difference, and at 2375FPS for the both. A fat old Rigby at 16 twist can and often does print 325 through 410 grain bullets in the same group out to 100 and sometimes even to 150 yards. The Rem at 14 twist is a bit more finicky.
Pfeifer, Square bridge. I need a flat near .845 wide on the bridge. Most of the Rem Mod.17's clean up the flat for the old sight spring about .025 higher than the top of the ring once you have precisely ground the ring to get rid of the Tsunami like wave style polishing done to suit the Military. There is considerable variation in the blend from the side of the ears to where this meets the radius on the side of the bridge and the left hand side wall. There are 2 flat grinds tangent to what ever radius cleans up the side walls projecting up to the flat top of the bridge allowing this width. These flats are
Plus or minus 5 min of angle to 20 degrees as it suits the needs.. One flat per side. The approach from end of the bolt stop up to the flat top is a curve and this radius is made by the wheel diameter.. The only welding done on the bridge or its sides is in the clip ear pockets, and not much, Only to insure that there is no void showing up in the recoil tab cut for the lever release scope rings. The dovetail bases themselves are made of AISI 4340 Chrome Nickel Moly steel hardened to Rockwell C 38 and milled in that condition, then they are ground for the rear base and milled for the front base to the required highth and ring radius, Ring base is lapped, then both are soldered to the receiver using regular 6x48 screws and these are then replaced with screws made to exactly fit the bases from remnants of the same base material, and these are cold swaged to the bases and this part is then ground causing the dummied off screws to disappear into the base top surface. You must have some surfaces to work with ,register from and clamp onto for these operations and that is all done in the grinding, as a preparation for subsequent doings. It is always hillarious when I hear the comment about "He even grinds and polishes below the stockline!". Hope I answered most of the questions

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
The metalwork and stockwork on this rifle was finished 100% per the clients ever changing request and specs. It has had no less than three, 340 barrels installed on it in its short life span. At the clients request it was even fitted with a Muzzle break of his choice on barrel # 2 that repeatedly increased the group size 100% whenever it was installed. This was finally removed at the clients request and left on barrel lenght at 23 1/2".The owner was never satisfied with .500" to .750" accuracy or the 338 Win mag velocities from the 24" barrel lenghts that he insisted on. This rifle has been to Africa at least once and pounded a pile of game as well as used in Montana with the same degree of success but it was never quite the "Perfect Rifle". It was offered for sale a number of times as a 340 to friends of his but the owner never could let it go when push came to shove. It was finally barreled to 416 Rem to inhance the resale value and nothing more. Remember folks the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Gee, I dunno. Is 416 Remingtion enough for buff?? I mean, if it was an UltraMag or ShortMagnum, well, maybe then [Wink]

[ 06-21-2003, 17:54: Message edited by: duckear ]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy,
Never lose your since of humor, in the business you have chosen, least you will die young..

<Pfeifer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by systeme98:
3UE/2- 17R. ...The approach from end of the bolt stop up to the flat top is a curve and this radius is made by the wheel diameter..

systeme98,
Thanks for your reply...Is this done while rotating the action about its longitudinal axis - ie. in a fixture while grinding? Sure is "b-u-t-e-ful"!

JP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer, On an arbor. Yup.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote