New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad weather stock options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We all know the merits of a good synthetic stock for use in a challenging environment such as the Alaskan Penn. The issue I have always found with these stocks is that they are noisy in brush. Another option is laminents which are typically heavy.
I did "hear" one time that mesquite will only absorb up to 2% max of its weight in moisture. The least of any wood and that it is
extremely strong.
Would this be a good "wood" option for a stock if sealed properly? It would seem less likely to warp or deteriate in such an environment.
I know years back, this is the wood Weatherby put on all their 460's and I think it was due to the strength.
Comments??

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found Mesquite to be heavier than walnut. Weatherby used screwbean mesquite, I believe. It was georgeous. Unless you want to pay some big $$$ for the blank, I don't know that it is worth it. I think Henry Pohl at Great American might still have one at about $500 for the blank. There may be some folks around Abilene that can get you a blank. I had Chuck at Abilene Mesquite Hardwoods keep an eye out for me and he did finally find a couple nice blanks, but they are straight grained and plain, which was fine for my projects.

I think that if you thoroughly seal walnut properly, it will perform just fine. The trick is to COMPLETELY seal it several times.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just seal it real good and then wax it good.It should shed water.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote