Find
Notify
Tools

Star Super A or B ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all. Does anyone know what the difference between the Star Super A or Super B?
The A is supposed to be in 9mm Largo and the B in 9x19, but the Bs have been made in other calibers. So other than caliber, what is the difference? Mine just says Modelo Super. One side of the frame has 9mm p, but the barrel is marked 9mm Largo. Mine does have a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide.

also, anyone know of a good source for magazines?

TIA.

Already checked these places:
http://www.9mmlargo.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
The whole family of the "Star" pistol was (and stil is) manufactured by the Spain-based company Bonifacio Echeverria, SA. Back in the 1920s the company began to develop semi-automatic pistols, based on Browning-designed Colt M1911 design. These pistols were more or less similar to the original M1911, but usually chambered for 9x19mm Luger or 9x23mm Largo (Bergmann-Bayard) rounds.
The Star mod. A was chambered for 9mm Largo ammunition and mostly used in the Spain. The mod. B was chambered for 9x19mm Luger and had been widely exported into many countries, including Hitlers' Germany, and had been used during World War 2. The Star model P had been chambered for .45ACP cartridge and mostly intended for American market. The model BM was a compact version of the mod. B with shorter barrel and slide.

The Model B Super replaced the Mod. B in the production and in the Spain Army arsenals, and had been in production in 1946 - 1965, and had been in use by Spanish military until early 1990s, when new Star M30 had been adopted as a new service sidearm.

The Star pistols, mod. A, B and P were similar in design and differed mostly in caliber. All these pistols were recoil operated, locked breech, single action pistols that used Browning-deigned, linked barrel locking principle. The models A Super and B Super differed from mod. A and B, respectively, only in that the Super model utilised linkless locking scheme, similar to that used in Browning High Power pistols.

Being very similar in appearance to the Colt m1911A1 pistols, the Star pistols had some differences.
First, these pistols had no automated grip safety, and no detachable backstrap/mainspring housing
Second, Star pistols had simplified trigger/sear design with single trigger link, and pivoting trigger
Third, external safety swiths locked the hammer, not the sear
Fourth, Star pistols featured exetrnal extractors
Fifth, as noted above, Star A Super and B Super also had different barrel locking/unlocking

Information shamelessly stolen from http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Yep, I read all that, but it doesn't tell any difference between the A or B models, except for the caliber, which has sometimes been changed. So without the caliber, how do you tell the difference between the A and B Supers?

I'm thinking that mine is a B as it has 9mm p on the slide, but the barrel is marked 9mm Largo. I modified the barrel to take 38 Super ammo. It seems to be a pretty tough gun.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you go to this site http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml
They have a find your model # section. Quite self explanatory.

another informative site http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/StarPistols.htm

and one more http://www.9mmlargo.com/

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Star Super B will feed 9mm with 158 gr LSWC flat nosed seated out to 1.29".

That means the Star Super B magazine will take a round nose Largo.
All you have to do is ream out the Luger chamber.

OAL:
9x19mm: 1.169"
Largo: 1.32"
38 Super: 1.28"
9x23mm: 1.245"

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc. Have you slugged your barrel? My 9mm Largo barrel slugs at .3585". I'm thinking of loading some 180gn(358) cast bullets and see how it does. They will fit the magazine at 1.27", but will chamber at 1.24". I still should be able to get around 1000 fps or so. I'll start low and work up.

Anybody have any surplus 9mm Largo ammo? What size bullet are they loaded with? .355" or .358"?

Thaine: Quite self explanitory, but no distinguishing information about the difference between the A and B Supers except for caliber. 9mm largo vs. 9mm Luger.

Looking at their list, it looks like a Model P (45 acp) was made in the Super configuration. I may have to have one of those, if I can ever find one. I've seen a couple of Ps, but no P Supers.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The caliber is the only difference between A/B Super A/Super B. The butt marking will tell you what it started life as. A change of barrels and magazines may have occured at some point in it's life. Here is a photo of a factory manual for an A that was remarked for a B http://www.9mmlargo.com/star_spr/a_b_man.gif

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Star MMS (together with shoulder stock) in 7,63 Mauser. Nice gun.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
The caliber is the only difference between A/B Super A/Super B. The butt marking will tell you what it started life as.

Or if it just says Super. ?
I guess if caliber is the only difference then I'll stop my search for info on them.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
base: Largo .375", 38 super: .384", 9x23: .390"
case: Largo: .91", 38 Super: .9", 9x23mm: .9"
neck: Largo: .375", 38 Super: .384", 9x23mm: .380"
OAL: Largo: 1.32", 38 Super: 1.28", 9x23mm: 1.245"

9mm Largo Ammunition
Bullet weight- 8-8.9 grams (123.5-137.4 grains)
Muzzle velocity- 365 mps (1197.5 fps)
Case length- 23mm (.911")

My little chart could be updated per the above post

base: Largo .390", 38 super: .384", 9x23: .390"
case: Largo: .91", 38 Super: .9", 9x23mm: .9"
neck: Largo: .379", 38 Super: .384", 9x23mm: .380"
OAL: Largo: 1.32", 38 Super: 1.28", 9x23mm: 1.245"

Glenn, I have another FAC barrel, I could ream it out for 9x23 or Largo and send it to you, if that would help.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer. My gun is already chambered for 9mm Largo. I also cut a small step in the top of the chamber hood to headspace the 38 Super semi-rim.
I guess what I was looking for was is there any mechanical difference between the A and B (Super)? I haven't been able to find any difference (except for the barrel and caliber it's chambered for) (I wonder if the factory B 9mm Luger barrels slug .355 or .358?) Anyone have one?

Is the 9mm Largo a .355" bore or .358"?
We see 9mm and think .355", but the barrel on mine slugs .3585".
I saw one reference that listed it as 9.09mm Largo. Quickload has the bore listed as .358"
I looked around town today for some surplus largo ammo. All I could find was some once fired brass.
I saw that Wolf has an extra power recoil spring. I'm going to order that and also see if I can fit one of the Wilson Shok buff recoil pads in it.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is the official bullet size of SAAMI for 9mm Luger and 9mm Win mag, which is .3325" to .3555".

And then there are the bullets that are for sale, which are .355".

The groove diameter of 9mms per SAAMI can be from .355" to .359".

And then there are the barrels that are for sale, almost always .355".

9mm aftermarked barrels for Tokarevs from China may sometimes be .359", but they look like they were made in a back yard by slave labor.

"Cartridges of the world" lists the 9mm Bayard Long as having a .355" bullet. I don't know why that book does not list the "Largo" allias.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The Starline brass that I picked up in 9mm Largo is .9" long instead of the .91" above. I stuck the extension of the dial caliper down the chamber of the barrel and came up with .9" also.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com