Find
Notify
Tools

Safetys, pins in the levers or screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
Just ran a small batch of safetys to get a few actions pulled together with all their parts.

I made this smaller batch with 2x56 set screws to retain the lever instead of a pin.

The screws started out as a special request for one guy.

Now I've circled back around and I've got going a bigger run of safetys for a few guys here at the a/r forum, plus a few good handfulls of safetys for my actions.

Now I wonder if I should do the screws from now on.

What do you folks like. the pin or the screw.
Timan/ Stu

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timan,

I used the 2/56 screws on all the safetys on rifles that I converted from about 1970 on. I plung cut the safey outline on a small mill. My set screws were placed on the inside of the safety curve. The only problem that I found was that sometimes it is hard to remove the Allen screws a few years later. I used nail polish to set the screws in place.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will back up what Les has to say about trying to remove any set screws after a period of time. Can be a *&^%$#@

From 1985 to about 1999, over 7500 Mauser units, I used a 1/16" hardened tapered pin. Then I went to a 1/16" stainless split ( roll ) pin, over 500 Mauser units 1999 - 2002.

Had so much better luck and reports on the spilt pin over time.
Plus you can go to most hardware stores to find a replacement if needed.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for the roll pin for reason already stated. When the screw is new its great but 10 years later...

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Harre also went from pin to screw.
I would prefer a screw.
With just a few seconds of periodical maintenance, I dont see the screw seizing up.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have one of those Timan safeties with the pin, and I don't know when I would ever take the lever off, but if I had to I don't know how in the hell I would get that pin out. And then of course I would have to probably get a new pin to put back in.

So, I think for the common guy (not the gunsmith that has all of the tools) the screw might be the better option.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, use a solid pin and cut a slot across the exposed face of it and just call it a screw. What'ya think? lol

Oh, and I love it when "common guys" take their guns apart to that level. clap

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To ensure that a screw remains relatively free in its thread is frequently a problem, especially such a small one. At the nuke plant we use a product sometimes called Nickle Never-Seize or something similar. It's a nickle-bearing grease of some sort and is marketed under several brand names, it's fairly common in industry. Among other things it serves to keep the attaching bolts on the reactor free to be checked for tension and dis-re-assembled periodically. Extremely adverse environmental conditions inside the Containment and RPV (Reactor Pressure Vessel) as you can imagine but the Never-Seize does a good job. I would imagine that a coat of Never-Seize on the threads and a drop of nail polish on the head would serve splendidly.

Just don't get the Never-Seize on yer clothes 'cause it AIN'T gonna come out!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used nickel "Never Seize" in saltwater marine evironments,... it did its job very well.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote