Notify
Tools

stock pattern question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Hi all,

A question for you: I have a Zastava M70 LH 7x57 as is from the factory. That stock does not fit me at all. However, I'd like to work on it and have it re-shaped in an effort to get it to where I need it to be dimensionally while also striving to adhere to what may be called a British stalking rifle design.

I intend to use a new barrel which would not have the same dimensions as the factory barrel. How does this impact the inletting of the pattern stock, or the new stock when I have the pattern duplicated?

Thanks!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and shape the stock as you want it, then glass bed the new barrel and action to your rifle or send the newly installed barreled action and newly shaped stock to your stylist and he will glass bed it and cut you a new stock..You are simply using your factory reshaped stock as a pattern.
The stalking rifle patterns sure make nice rifle stocks, and work well for me with both iron sights and scoped.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As Ray said go ahead and fully inlet and glass bed the action. If you have the new barrel go ahead and inlet the barrel channel. If not the new stock can simply be cut with a 1/2" channel.

When You get your new stock you will need to finish inletting and bed it as well.

I would love to cut your new stock. Give me a PM

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Glass the inside and shape and bondo the outside to make a pattern you like.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
ray,

some ideas if you please regarding elements of a british stalking design in the stock would be great. at some point will have to decide upon leaving as 7x57 or becoming 3006, too.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like the original Mauser sporter style, which Rigby used; like this; my pattern has side panels but I cut them off this one; a .404.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bluefish,
As per your request a British stalking rifle is a misnomer, in that the "stalking rifle" was Austrian by birth. The British version is a modified "stalking rifle" and the best of both worlds IMO. It is African in all respects so to speak.

7x57 would be the classic caliber, but the 06 has certainly earned its place in any style.

Number one the British rifle is set up for barrel band iron sights, barrel band swivel 2"s in front of forend, and barrel band front sight, therefore the comb needs to be cut for iron sights giving you some drop at the comb and heal, and it may or may not require you lifting your head several MM to use the scope and that is not the "problem" some have made of it.

I use Talley rings and bases or European claw mounts. Done right it will work with both irons and scope without the need for an ugly high barrel band ramp rear sight that looks like an aircraft carrier. Also the use of a Talley peep on talley bases is quite high and that works like a charm for both irons and scope.

The grip is elongated, thick thru the center Vee-ing slim to top and bottom giving the impression and feel of being "skinny" but actually it is thick thru the center to beef up strength of the entire stock. Forend should be 8 to 8.5 inches from front ring to end of wood, steel grip cap, Silvers pad, butt swivel in center of wood between recoil pad and grip, basically centering the egg cheek piece..All this can be severe or moderate, depending on taste. I like a shadow line on the cheek piece but a severe stock like the the Mauser has a somewhat different egg cheek piece in that the bottom is rounded and no shadowline. It has its place on a Germanic style of stalking rifle.

type of bead is classically a 3/32 Ivory but that is optional and with a Talley peep I would opt for the .500 high gold faced square partridge (NECG). I say .500 high so that you can keep the peep down most all the way to vertical zero. I say most as you need to give yourself a little adjustment both ways.

Checkering should be a point pattern with Mullard borders fore and aft, and I have seen some with Fluer de Lais checkering, I suppose thats optional...

Keep in mind like any stock on any rifle, the choice is yours and nobody elses, you must be the one to please.

email me at ray@atkinsonhunting.com and I'll send you some pictures of this type of rifle as I stock a lot of them in that style. I am presently working on a G33-40 small ring in that style with a Talley peep and scope..I will also send you the measurements of the drop at the comp and heel...My favorite pattern stocks are a Jack Hogue std. and the same in a drop box. Its about as close to perfection as I have found.

Lots of nice opttions are out there such as trap grip caps, I like to keep screws all pointing North and South, and most stock makers insist on this, but on a used hunting rifle this may be just a selling point in that wood moves a tad now and them and as the rifle ages you will need to turn the screws off center..
Trap butt plates are acceptable in English and German design, engraving is nice it not over done IMO..

Books can be written on the subject and have, so this is basically a post on required basics and argueable I suppose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote