THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Affordable magnum sized FN Mauser trigger guard & floorplate assembly

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affordable magnum sized FN Mauser trigger guard & floorplate assembly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know where I can locate an aftermarket magnum sized steel trigger guard and floorplate assembly for a military FN Mauser 98 that I would like to sporterize? I've seen some from Sunny Hill that go for US$461. They look nice, but by the time they arrive down here with shipping, duty and the exchange rate, they will cost me the better part of AU$1000. Ouch!!! There has to be something else out there that is more affordable that I can use to sporterize a military action with.

Cheers

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I know where there is an FN magnum action, with barrel, chambered in 375 H&H. The barrel is a McGowan, asking price is 595.00 I have no idea if that price is good, or bad.

posted Hide Post
Try a blackbuen guard i think their in the 300.00 range,i could get into that .375 bbl. action. where can i get in contact with these folks.

Posts: 4 | Location: mo | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I'll get their number for you.

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RichieRich:
Does anybody know where I can locate an aftermarket magnum sized steel trigger guard and floorplate assembly for a military FN. I've seen some from Sunny Hill that go for US$461. They look nice, but by the time they arrive down here with shipping, duty and the exchange rate, they will cost me the better part of AU$1000. Ouch!!!
Cheers

Well, it seems like you forum name teams up pretty bad with your will to pay [Big Grin]

If you can rework an army/ standard lenght box it's a different ball game, not soo much dosh [Big Grin] [Eek!] I guess Blackburn is annother source for the floorplate's or Wisner.

/ JOHAN

[ 10-08-2003, 20:38: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've written Blackburn via their site about 4-5 days ago and they still have not gotten back to me yet. Are they still in business or is this just how they do business??? Hope to get some info soon!!!

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichieRich:
Thanks for the replies. I've written Blackburn via their site about 4-5 days ago and they still have not gotten back to me yet. Are they still in business or is this just how they do business??? Hope to get some info soon!!!

Thanks

Unfortunately this seems to be a common occurence these days. When the internet boom hit everyone just had to have a website. They didn't realize that they have to have someone actually check it once a day and answer questions, return emails.

Many businesses are creating ill will by seemingly ignoring email queries. I have been disappointed on several occasions by the lack of response, not only in gunsmithing but in all areas of small business. I often resort to leaving phone messages, many times you get a better resonse time.

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted and his daughter and son in law work at his business. I do know that Ted would be the one answering questions from his site and he can get very tied up. The vast majority of the time questions are just curiousity type of inquiries. I suspect that they are in the middle of a flurry of business and they will get back to you. I am not sure of his exact prices but they are all on a par with each other.

You might try Jim Wisner, I have used his in the past and will again. I also know he is in the middle of a chageover of equipment and is like the proverbial one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Bob's Gun Parts in Arkansas advertises FN Commercial Mauser trigger guards and floor plates.

http://www.gun-parts.com/mauser/

You might give them a try. However, the last time I tried to buy a FN Mauser part from them it was out stock.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South40,
You got me excited, I always looking at sources like that but I did not see magnum magazines.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally received a reply today from Blackburn... That's if you can call it that... It was a one sentence reply that didn't address any of my questions saying that the prices were on the attachment. Well the attachment was a zip file that would not un-zip and also would not allow me to save it. I tried every means I could to open it and finally gave up...

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit cheesed off... I guess they have enough business and are trying to discourage any more... Oh well... I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere now...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lighten up Richie. They sent you a reply. It's not their fault you can't read it. Why not do the logical adult thing and reply back that you cannot read the attachment. I'm sure they will try again. If not ,then maybe you have a legitimate bone to pick.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to sell you a product either. You sound like one of those people that would be impossible to satisfy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ZACH,

Are you the type of shop owner who treats the customer's like they are bothering you? This is getting all too common these days. What ever happened to professionalism? If you run your business that way, I would gladly not do business with you!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richie -

The price for the Blackburn Mauser floorplate assembly is about $350US. I spoke with Ted on Monday concerning a Mauser floorplate assembly for a custom 7X57 that I am having built on a G33/40 action. Very nice person to deal with. If you can't open the zip file they sent you (I often have that problem with zip files), I suggest that you contact them and ask they to fax you a copy. A less expensive alternative would be to use the floorplate assembly from a 1909 Argentine mauser.

TreeFarmer

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Blackburn's trigger guard and magazine assemblies are among the finest there are. Has one for just about every application. Not cheap, but my favorite. Ted's a good guy to deal with too.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See what I mean Richie,

You did not bother to address the issue of contacting them further to get a file you CAN read.
The onus is on you at this point. The folks at blackburn fulfilled your request. How on earth would they know that you cannot read the file? If you are too stupid to contact them again so they can rectify the problem then so be it. Just don't try to make it seem like these folks have somehow not done their part.

I go out of my way to make sure anything I do is done right. If someone takes issue with the way something was done I make it right. On the other hand, I know that some people just can't be pleased and I won't put my self int the position of trying to satisfy the unsatisfyable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking for more information on Blackburn floorplates.. I haven't been able to find their web site. Does anyone have that information?

Thanks

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Blackburn Machine (Ted)
Box 476
39 East 1600 North
Spanish Fork, UT 84660
Tel 801-794-3309
Fax 801-794-3310
BlackburnMachine@cs.com

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zach:
See what I mean Richie,

You did not bother to address the issue of contacting them further to get a file you CAN read.
The onus is on you at this point. The folks at blackburn fulfilled your request. How on earth would they know that you cannot read the file? If you are too stupid to contact them again so they can rectify the problem then so be it. Just don't try to make it seem like these folks have somehow not done their part.

I go out of my way to make sure anything I do is done right. If someone takes issue with the way something was done I make it right. On the other hand, I know that some people just can't be pleased and I won't put my self int the position of trying to satisfy the unsatisfyable.

Zack,
I trust this was meant as a sarcastic, backhanded blast at blacburn?

or, let me put it this way... if I am willing to consider giving a fella my money, he had better best damn well act like he wants it...

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everybody. I've just been in contact with Ted and he's going to help me straighten the file out and later also put a link on their website to assist others in the future with info and prices. Some times the squeaky wheel does get the oil... I guess that’s how it’s supposed to work anyway.

ZACH, remember that there are good days and bad days. It looks like we both had a bad day… Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to have a good day…

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richie, agreed! I'm glad you got what you wanted from Blackburn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RichieRich, now buy one. They are excellent magazines and no one makes a cheap one if you are looking for magnum magazines. The best are Blackburn and Jim Wisner. I use both. You will not be able to get a magnum to feed as well unless you use one. They will feed but not as smooth or with consistency.

And btw, it is not the squeaky wheel, Ted would help out anyone but for each request and information given out in this business you get 300 Lookie -Lous and if they call on the phone (and they do) they want to talk for an hour. He gets busy, that happens.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance but when we say Magnum size are we referring to the .458, .338 Win mag size or the H&H size? Or, are there multiple versions available?

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote