Find
Notify
Tools

MRC 1999 - Irregular Ignition
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I have a 416 Rem built on an MRC 1999 action that's been giving me some problems. Basically, it only goes off about 60% of the times you pull the trigger. When I look at the cartidges that didn't fire, the firing pin impressions in the primer seem shallow. The headspacing is fine, as is the seating of the primers. Anyone run into this before?

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has happened to me with my short action MRC. In Africa I pulled the trigger on both a Zebra and a Warthog and got a click. My PH thought I had not put a round in the chamber. I recocked the rifle and got both animals. I think this may have happen once while I was practicing at the bench before I went to Africa. The rifle was new. I now have another new one and will be taking both to Africa in 3weeks I have only fired the new one in 300WSM 10 times and only with factory loads. I had one trigger pull go click with this new rifle and there was no dent on the round at all. It fired the next time I tried. Not sure if I did something wrong as I was talking to someone just before trying to shoot. I do plan to get any oil or grease from inside the bolt before leaving and I will be doing a lot of shooting in the next three weeks. I will let you know if it happens again. Of course 60 percent is something different. You may have a dirty firing pin spring or some dirt inside the bolt that is slowing the firing pin down or maybe it is a lazy firing pin spring. On my last trip to Africa I used some 18 year old primers and thought that might be the problem. You can be sure I will use fresh primers on this trip for my 376 Steyr.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would dissasemble the bolt and make sure there is no grease, gunked up oil or metal shavings or burrs on the any of the components, both inside and out. Make sure the firing pin hole is of proper diameter and that the firing pin is also of proper diameter and taper.
Check for burrs and engagement of the sear and make sure it is not hanging up and causing the firing pin to "slow" down when it is released.
A lot of this you can do yourself, and if that doesn't help take it to a gunsmith as the firing pin protrusion might be off.
Since you say you have checked headspace and it is proper, I can't think of anything other than what I mentioned. I am sure there will be many more suggestions, and hopefully, mine, theirs or a combination of ideas will solve your problem.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Wanna trade Big Grin?

My .450 Ackley bangs every time with A-Square brass but about 60% with Hornady. I swapped the firing pin spring and relieved the cocking piece where it was rubbing in the shroud but that didn't help. It's 4-sale now.

Such a shame, they've got an awesome design in the 1999 but just can't seem to get it right.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
I have a 416 Rem built on an MRC 1999 action that's been giving me some problems. Basically, it only goes off about 60% of the times you pull the trigger. When I look at the cartidges that didn't fire, the firing pin impressions in the primer seem shallow. The headspacing is fine, as is the seating of the primers. Anyone run into this before?

Pete

There is a possibility you might want a new main string for your bolt. There was a period where dud springs were used, but the problem apparently does not show up immediately. The period I have heard mentioned is about 1 year - don't know if that fits your data, maybe it also depends on how much the gun was fired??

I've heard of these springs being replaced with something referred to as "Speedlock Chrome Silicon spring". I don't know if that is a correct designation, or whether it helps you further locating the part you need?

You can also call MRC (talk to Dan) and see if they can help you with a replacement spring. I have a feeling the "Speedlock Chrome Silicon" referred to above may be an after market item.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look into doing the bolt disassembly and spring change mentioned above. Wolf may make a stronger spring for it too. Check the OAL length of the firing pin too; it may be short.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with a LA1999 in the cold (clean bolt), I replaced the stock spring with a 30# W70 aftermarket unit and it solved it and seemed to speed things up also. You can find the springs at Midway.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem with my SA/LH MRC 1999 308 Win. MRC sent me a new (heavier) firing pin spring which I installed but the problem persisted. Finally returned the rifle to them for repair. Sorry, I don't know what they did but it has not misfired since. I got the impression during several phone conversations that this is not an uncommon problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is there was a change at one point and was subsequently changed back to the original form. But the few that had problems they were taking them back in for repair ,at no charge fo course. Some were remidied simply with a heavier spring some needed a small adjustment, don't know what that was but it seemed to work perfectly. If you are still having problems have you called to see if they will help? The new management seems more than willing to take care of their customers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall there some issues with pin protrusion on some 1999's. I have 3 of the SA's from the initial run, I sent them back to be checked and I think 2 had to have the protrusion corrected.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote