New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-war model 70 safety question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do pre-war model 70 safeties fit post war models (pre-64)? How hard are pre-war safties to come by? Whatcan I expect to pay?. For that matter, what can I expect to pay for a complete pre-war standard action? A "One of these days..." rifle is a clone of a rifle built by Larry Brace for his own personal use. It is a pre-war model 70 standard opened up to 375 H&H. It is built relativeley trim. I have fondled a couple of pre-war model 70's in the past at gun shows. I think I would like the safety for use with a Lyman 48. I can't afford to buy anything now, just trying to get info for future reference, so please don't try to sell me anything at this time. Thanks for any info you can provide. In case your interested, the rifle I mentioned is highlighted in Hunting Horizons from the early 1990's. The cover of my copy is riffed off, so I can't tell you which issue exactly.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a custom 30-06 on a prewar 70 and find the backward left hand safety the most awkward of all three of the model 70 safeties. It's hard to get to under the scope eyepiece for me. I also have a 1947 transition model and it's not very comfortable either (since it doesn't have the down turned leg it's sharp) but does work in proper direction and is on the correct side. It's a 270 and does have a factory reciever sight. I THINK the prewar/postwar boltsleeves are interchangeable.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tilden conversion changes the left hand to right hand. I believe that Wisners carries them.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote